Monday, March 14, 2011

UNC School of Dentistry ……… GOES WILD !!


About 6 months ago I finally qualified to be a patient at the University of North Carolina School of Dentistry. This means that I get my own student (2nd year) who will oversee my treatment. As you can tell by the picture the setting is very professional and serene. Each student has a cubicle and the Staff Dentist is ever present to teach and grade the students. It is a tedious process but the cost is about 1/3 of what it would cost for me to go to my regular dentist and, with no insurance, it is well worth the effort.

On March 11th I drove up to Chapel Hill for my 2 0’clock appointment and arrived about ½ hour early. The waiting room was full and the TV was tuned to the UNC-Miami basketball game. UNC was 19 points behind Miami and the mood of the watchers was glum, to say the least.

It was at this point that “my dentist”, student Rob, came and got me. We settled down in his cubicle and he proceeded to get me ready for the procedure. Classical music was playing and, although you could hear the murmur of the other students and their patients, it was all very low key and professional.

Then, minutes later, the calm was shattered. A fever-pitched roar broke loose in the room and, for a minute, I thought we were under siege from some unknown terror. “WHAT was that?” I said to Rob and, with a grin that nearly split his face, he said, “I think we won !”

Sure enough, in the ACC battle No 6 UNC had stormed back to beat Miami by one point at the buzzer, and …


…though the atmosphere in the room quickly reverted to it’s original calm the grins remained and I was reminded that these future dentists were, after all, still UNC students and it was fun to be part of their joy and triumph.

10 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

What an unexpected yet exciting moment for all of the students Ginnie. I wish we had a school like that here, sure would be nice to save some money! Love Di ♥

4:04 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Yeah--but Duke beat NC this past weekend.
I am not a basketball fan, but a good friend is. When Duke loses, she pouts, when they win she shouts.
Congrats on your new dentist.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Getting them to miss the game would be like pulling teeth.

4:52 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I have always wanted to check out that dental school and now, maybe I will. How do you qualify?

6:42 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Wish we had a dental school around here. I don't have dental insurance either - never have had... but sure could have used it.
Lucky you!

5:15 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

North Carolina has some ace basketball players.

4:30 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Ginnie, it's hard to know what was more exciting to your readers - your getting a student dentist or NC winning (even if they later lost to Duke). I join the others who posted in wishing we had a similar school in these parts.

8:24 AM  
Blogger James E Lutz said...

Superb post. Thanks for sharing.office cubicles in miami

9:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It is important to choose the right dentist. You can look in the phone book or online to find a dentist in CT. Make sure they are members of the American Dental Association (ADA)'s board. You can also ask friends and family for recommendations and trust their opinion.
orthodontics new britain

11:28 PM  
Blogger johnbartlet said...


An emergency dentist is a highly trained professional who can respond quickly to dental emergencies in an immediate fashion.
A dentist with an emergency response program is able to provide immediate care and treatment of a wide range of dental problems.
This includes root canal therapy, filling crowns and bridges, gum reshaping, root canal treatment, extractions, orthodontic braces, and even surgery. Your family doctor or general dentist can provide routine preventative care and guidance, but they cannot guarantee that your teeth will not suffer from inevitable problems such as tooth decay and cavities.
emergency dentist near me




3:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home