Thursday, February 10, 2011

Mystical dates … 1/1/11 … 1/11/11 … 11/1/11 … 11/11/11


I’ve always had a fascination with dates and interesting time combinations. If you keep an eye on your digital clock you come up with all sorts of them. For example twelve thirty four will give you the sequence 1234. Or, how about this ? … if you add twelve minutes to the numbers 1:11, 2:22, 3:33 or 4:44 you will get these runs … 1:23, 2:34, 3:45 and 4:56.

And, of course, there’s always the eleven minutes after eleven time slot that gives a digital reading of 1111. It also leads me into the main gist of this blog entry.

I recently received an email message that read:

“This year we will experience 4 unusual dates.... 1/1/11, 1/11/11, 11/1/11, 11/11/11 ......... NOW go figure this out.... take the last 2 digits of the year you were born plus the age you will be this year and it WILL EQUAL .... 111.”

Being a born skeptic I had to try it out. I was born in 1933 and will be 78 this February. So 33 and 78 do, indeed, add up to 111.
Then I applied it to all my children’s birth dates and, lo and behold, it equaled 111 every time.

Magic??? Of course not and there’s a fairly easy mathematical equation that explains how this works. But where’s the fun in that? I’d much prefer to chock it up to some sort of psychic phenomenon ! (Eerie music playing in the background as I write this…)

Numerology is the study of occult meanings of numbers and their supposed influence on human life. Those that study it believe that events linked to the time 11:11 appear more often than can be explained by chance or coincidence… and New Age philosophies believe that the repetition of the number one signals a spirit presence and that mystical powers are associated with it… (Eerie music continues …)

I can’t go quite that far but I can go with the idea that 11:11 is a reminder that life’s patterns do repeat themselves. Or, on the other hand, I could just accept the fact that it’s eleven minutes after eleven, and be done with it !

9 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I too can be quite captivated by some of the digital numbers that you mention.

11:13 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

Have you ever googled 11:11? There is a huge amount if info on it.

12:48 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

I love observing such numbers too. I pay attention to license plates or odometers for just that reason--to see neat configurations of numbers turn up.

7:48 PM  
Blogger possum said...

I do love the way you think!
Yeah, the magic of numbers can be fun. And just think an hour after it is 11:11 here, it will be 11:11 in Iowa and Alabama, and an hour later...
a ripple of "magic" twice a day!
Lol! Or just a bunch of people waiting for lunch.

4:38 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

ENjoyed this post, Ginnie and yes indeed adding my age and the year I was born does total 111. Happy Birthday to you from a fellow February birthday celebrant!

4:42 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Happy birthday Ginnie. I like the math explanation myself but that is why I am a scientist!

7:26 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Pretty neat Ginnie and EERIE!!!!!
Love Di ♥

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, I did it too. Grabbed the calculator and tried the birthday math.
BUT i turned up the stereo real loud to hear the eerie music ,,,, and only heard Glenn Miller playing Moonlight Seranade :-).
I'm not sure if the time thing will work here on the Eastern Shore where time is ISHy to be sure.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Alan G said...

As to the number games or philosophical aspects of them, I find myself enduring rather pathetic encounters almost daily with numbers, particularly when waking up in the mornings.

It seems my digital clock sitting on my dresser exhibiting very large numbers has an important role in my rising habits each morning. Not unlike the often referred to ‘alignment of the planets’ I find myself often shackled to my bed waiting for the proper ‘alignment of numbers’ before I feel it is safe to get up and face the day.

For example, if I wake up and it is 4:35am I find that not to be a good time to plant my feet on the floor. I lie there until there is a familiar or unique “alignment of the numbers” before doing such. Once the clock reaches 4:44am then I can get up because all the numbers are in alignment. Other times if I get up extra early, I like to see 4:10am on the clock which of course represents the 4-10 shotgun. And if I decide to sleep a little later, well 5:55am is the obvious call.

Don’t try to find any real reasoning or sense to this other than the fact it allows me to bury myself beneath those warm covers for just a little while longer and gives me an excuse to do so! lol

4:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home