Saturday, March 05, 2011

My bedroom continued …



I’m sure that my love for painted furniture started years ago with this bureau. My mother designed and painted it back in the 1930’s or ‘40’s. I’m not sure of the exact date but I remember it always being in our house and I was born in 1933. It has been in my bedroom for years now and I treasure it.

A few years ago I was up visiting my daughter and her husband and I spied a sweet little child’s play bureau for sale in their antique shop. It was very similar to my “for real” one but just measured 12 inches in width and about a foot and a half high. It had three small drawers and the idea came to me that it would make a perfect spot for my jewelry.

When I arrived home with it I couldn’t wait to start my project and here it is finished …



It will take years for it to acquire the antiquity of my Mother’s bureau; but, it’s a fun addition to my bedroom, it serves a useful purpose and it is a daily reminder that my fascination and love for painted furniture started long before I was able to hold a paintbrush.

8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That's so cool -- both pieces and the story.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Oh Ginnie both are just beautiful pieces! Just the style that I love! I wish that I had you and your mothers talent. Love Di ♥

4:22 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Beautifully done. You have so much talent.

6:20 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Does the paint ever get chipped? And if so, what do you do?
Many years ago, we bought a painted chair (on a public TV station auction). Now, some places are nicked and chipped. I don't know if I should try to repaint.

1:25 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

Both are beautiful. I see that you inherited your mother's talents!

8:19 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Two lovely pieces, Ginnie - the old and the new - and they blend in wonderfully thanks to your artistic talents.

5:09 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

To think I almost missed this post! What a beautiful addition to a gorgeous dresser!! I have an old wooden spool box for jewelry, but mine is not nearly as pretty as yours!

5:08 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

That is absolutely gorgeous work Ginnie, I am so proud of you.. xoxo

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home