Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My Peanut Necklace … 1939 World’s Fair



Every time I hear the resonant tones of “Finlandia” by Sibelius I am transported back to the 1939 World’s Fair in Flushing Meadows, NY. It was probably 1941 and I would have been 8 at the time. I don’t remember much but one memory is clear as a bell.

I recall standing in a long line in front of the Planter’s Peanut exhibition. They were giving away necklaces with a little “gold” peanut attached and I made the entire family (4 sisters and my parents) wait while I stood on line. I was determined to get one and I’m so glad that I did.

Here is a picture of the necklace and you can see that it is not a cheap little item like what you would find in a Cracker Jacks Box. It is gold-toned and very sturdy. I have never seen another one like it and wonder if this was the original Planter’s trademark before the little peanut guy of today with the cane and top hat.



Back in 2006 I wrote to Planter’s and they could not give me any information, nor had they seen anything like it. I came away with the feeling that they didn’t believe me but I can assure you that I was there and my necklace is proof of that.

My only other memory of that magical day was watching the famous musical fountains display. Each night, as the sun went down, the crowds would gather at the pool. The haunting strains of “Finlandia” would fill the air as enormous jets of rainbow colored water sprayed higher and higher into the sky.

Then the finale …a barrage of fireworks exploding into the darkening sky. A sight that was almost too spectacular for this little girl to absorb… but one that I remember still.

6 Comments:

Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Ginnie, how nice that a simple necklace can bring back some happy memories of a fun day.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Well that's just nuts that the Planters people don't know their own nuts.

4:53 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

How sweet that is. I'm glad you still have it. Mr. kenju's father was a security guard at that world's fair!

8:46 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

That is so cool Ginnie! You would think that there would be some sort of info on the necklace. But then again, record keeping wasn't as prevalent back in the day. It would be interesting to find out how much it would be worth today, just for fun. Love Di ♥

3:56 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

That is a neat necklace. Have you Googled to see if anyone has information on the necklace?

6:10 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

It is wonderful to have those fond memories. I find myself going back in time, even in my sleep, as I think about my time spent with my Grandad as a child. It is saddening to know he is not well and will not be here for my 40th birthday, but I would not change any of the times we spent together, like the times you are reminiscing here now.
Take care Ginnie x0x0

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home