Sunday, February 13, 2011

WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN??

Once upon a time a little old lady in her 80’s decided that life in a nursing home was way too tame for her. She decided that streaking was the way to spark up the place and that’s exactly what she did. She stripped down to her “bare facts” and took off. Two old geezers watched in astonishment as she approached and passed them in the nude. “What in the world was that?” one of them said. “I don’t know”, replied his friend, “but it sure needed ironing !”

Isn’t that silly? But, it makes an excellent point. As we grow older we DO start to wrinkle and it‘s a total body take-over. Not a happy thought but one that I faced recently. I was looking at my hands and I saw the enlarged knuckles, the prominent veins and the sprinkle of brown spots and I found myself wondering, “when did this happen?”



It made me think of my Mother’s arthritically crippled hands and how I would watch as she massaged them under hot water to relieve the pain. Her knuckles were very swollen and she couldn’t have removed her wedding ring if she’d wanted to. I suddenly felt lucky that my hands are merely wrinkled and unattractive ... but not painful. It seemed to give me a proper sense of perspective and I could actually laugh at myself.

Of course the years have taken a toll and every wrinkle and spot attests to that; but what a wonderful journey it has been, and that‘s something I had forgotten until I took up blogging almost 5 years ago.

There’s something magical about blogging and I think it’s the support and affirmation that is freely given by strangers from all over the world. So many of you have relived the events of my past 78 years with me and your comments have made me see my life in a different light.

Truth be told I had completely forgotten about my early years and it wasn’t until I dug deep and recreated those events on my blog that I realized how exciting they actually had been.

And now I am in the quiet phase of my life and I realize how lucky I am. I have had ups and downs in my long life but I have basically been blessed. I have a loving family and a multitude of friends … which includes all of you who read these words, whether you comment or not.

Once again I take a look at my hands and I smile to think of how many years it has taken to sculpt them as they are. These are my hands. I have earned them fair and square and I marvel that every wrinkle and swollen knuckle is the culmination of those years that I had almost forgotten !

11 Comments:

Blogger ellen said...

Oh, Ginnie. You make me smile. I look at my hands and wonder where in the H. they came from. I pass a mirror and wonder who in the H. that is.
I send you love and appreciation for who you are. You are such a lovely and strong person and my small connection with you has been wonderful and may I say that it has blessed my life here.
Happy Birthday beautiful person.

8:19 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

..me again. And yes, we have all earned them, one knock at a time and one blessing at a time.

8:23 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I wish I had taken photos of my hands throughout the years. I've earned every wrinkle, spot and vein on them!!

8:25 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

The gift that is given to those of us who are older is the gift of reflection. We can look at our lives, our bodies--reflect on the past and the changes.
I am so amused when some young thing writes his (or her) autobiography--e.g. Bristol Palin. I so want to say--do some living first, child, then come back and write. Maybe then you'll have something to say.
In anticipation by a day--happy birthday, Ginnie.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That's a joke that I used early on in my teaching career, the best part of 40 years ago. But I still like it.

In my experience, men are less self-conscious about being seen in the all-together than women, but as my body ages that is beginning to change.

6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just beautiful, tears in my eyes ginnie xoxo
Cazzie

8:11 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Hands with character. That is what they are. I am a decade behind you and my hands are not as elegant as yours.

Happy Birthday tomorrow. I look forward to reading more about your memories.

I had a memory the other day. On a trip to the US when I was 9 we were fascinated with the Burma Shave signs along the highway. In those days it was Route 20 across New York State. Do you remember Burma Shave ads?

Oh! yes I also remember eating at "Chicken in the Basket" places. To eat in any restaurant back then was a rare event for our family.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

I think you have beautiful hands Ginnie. I have very bad arthritis in my hands, constant pain unless I get shots. But it's all worth it when I think back to all of the things that I have created with them.
And I agree, Blogging is such a wonderful hobby. I have enjoyed reading about your life. It was exciting and very interesting!
My wish for you is that you have a very warm and Happy Birthday!
Love Di ♥

5:15 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Ginnie!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Happy Birthday, Ginnie, you are a fellow Aquarian. My birthday was a couple of weeks ago (2/3). We are not getting older, just growing in wisdom. Thanks for sharing your life's journeys and experiences with all of us.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I think that you have nice hands. Aging will happen to all of us if we are lucky enough! I am glad to have gotten to "know" you through blogging.

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home