Saturday, March 23, 2013

Remembering Mort, Pam and Maya’s Granny

When I started my blog in 2006 I had no idea that it would open so many doors.  I also had no idea how hard it would be to see some of those door close with sickness or death.  It's amazing how near we feel to each other with just words to bind us. 

One of the first commentors on my blog was a lovely man named Mort.  His blog entitled Octegenarion was chock full of his years as a journalist
                                            
I had no idea that he was well known in those circles until after he died at age 87. His obituary read in part: “Morton Reichek, a senior editor and senior writer for Business Week Magazine, died November 8, 2011. During his retirement, Reichek became one of the most prolific and well read "elderly bloggers," writing about politics, his childhood, Israel, and his war experiences. His blog was highlighted in the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, and AARP magazine.”

I knew Mort as a humble and warm man who would comment every once in awhile on something I’d written. I treasure those words that he wrote to me.

Another blogger who touched my heart was Pam from Vermont. I know that AC remembers her fondly too.

She was an artist who was valiantly figting ALS and we were along for the ride.  She wrote in her Mind Trips blog:  "I can no longer use the pastels, colored pencils and papers I so loved and now paint with the help of my computer to express the musings of my mind.  Every day is a fight to hold my disease in check, but each day is also a gift."
Pam and I had an email friendship as well and I had planned to visit her on my 2008 trip North but that was not to be.   Here is an example of her talent ... in picture and prose:

                                         “Oh freedom, take me without care …
                                                   My body soaring through the air .

                                           For longing feet perhaps the chance …
                                                  To revel in the joy of dance”

And finally I pay tribute to a retired teen counselor who lived in Juneau, Alaska. The name of her blog was Maya’s Granny and that’s how she was known to us.

I loved getting comments from her because she always “told it like it was”. As she wrote: “I stopped being a hippy before the word was in the common vocabulary and am as opinionated as they come.”
Her lively blog made me feel like I, too, was living on the side of a mountain and watching bald eagles circle below the window. She even had to yell before she opened her door in order to scare away bears ! Isn’t that wonderful?

These three one-of-a-kind friends came to me through my blog. Now where else would a dull, old lady from North Carolina meet such an array of fascinating people ? I think of them often and every once in awhile I look back on what they wrote.

I’m so glad I’ve joined the blogging world … their words (and yours) enrich my life daily.

10 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

You think of yourself as a "dull, old lady"? Whatever for? Keep on keeping on, my not-at-all-dull bloggy friend.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Obviously, I remember Pam well, but I have a lesser recollection of the other two as well, particularly Maya's Granny.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

What Bonnie said so well.
Sadly we do lose our blogging friends.
Old Horsetail Snake with his daily humor was the first I lost. Recently the young, courageous and inspirational Leontien lost her battle to cancer.
Blog buddies are welcomed into and enrich our lives. When God calls them home, we are diminished, and it hurts.

6:33 AM  
Blogger possum said...

DULL?????
OLD LADY?????
OK, North Carolina seems right...
And you sure have been more than just a fellow blogger! I cherish your visit to the Eastern SHore... and all our private talks, emails on the phone... especially over a cuppa coffee.
I have been blessed to get to know you, Ginnie.

It is hard to lose someone you have gotten to know as I mentioned in my Musings this morning. I personally knew all of them, all from long, long ago.
Big HUGS!

7:03 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

So true...our fellow bloggers do indeed enrich our lives and connect us to one another.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Ginnie, your post was a very eloquent and warm tribute to these 3 folks who obviously enriched the lives of many, including yourself. Thanks for sharing your fond memories and Pam's talents. And, you far from a "full, old lady" regardless of how you describe yourself.

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely post Ginnie. It's sad, but I think that with blogging, when one door closes, another often opens.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

WHOOPS sorry, Ginnie, but not it was not meant to be "full" but "dull" and certainly you are not that either. Sometimes, the fingers go faster than the brain

9:58 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Indeed. I too have fond memories of bloggers who have one on. Flydragon was one who continued to write unbeknownst to the end in a nursey home. Her daughter wrote on last post to tell the story.....

4:32 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Such a great thing it is to have blogging friends. I only know of two bloggers who passed away. Others have disappeared into the ether, shutting down their blogs. I miss them also. I'm glad that you are here and writing. I would miss your posts and comments.

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home