Monday, March 11, 2013

“NOT IN KANSAS, ANYMORE…”



Disney’s “Oz, the Great and Powerful” is not the type of film that I would ordinarily go to see but, at the request of my granddaughter we made it a family affair and I’m glad I was included.

The film is touted as “a spiritual prequel to L. Frank Baum's 1900 introductory novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and indirectly to the 1939 MGM film, The Wizard of Oz” and is another fanciful escape from Kansas.

It was in a 3D format at our theater and the elaborate scenes were enhanced even more because of that. I thought the narrative was weak but that could have been due to my comparison with the original Oz movie that was awash with memorable lines.

As the title implies this movie concentrates on Oz, who in this version is a small-time circus magician with a dubious sense of right and wrong and an ego to match. He is transported from Kansas to the enchanted land of Oz where he meets a myriad of challenges and finally (to no ones amazement !) triumphs as the savior they’ve all awaited.

I have viewed The Wizard of Oz, starring Judy Garland at least 30 times since it previewed in 1939 and it is one of my all time favorite movies.


I would not put “Oz, the Great and Powerful” in that category but it did provide a few hours of harmless fun. If you see it be sure to give me your feedback.




12 Comments:

Blogger troutbirder said...

You beat my record by about ten in seeing that wonderful movie over and over on TV...:) I still love it. And thanks for the review. I saw the preview when we went to Argo.

4:47 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Don't know if I will see it--but the reviews have been interesting. Since "The Wizard of Oz" occupies such a high place in movie history--it's hard to top a reputation like that.

7:34 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I would not usually see this, but since you've mentioned it, if the occasion arises, I'll go.

I love the old movie and was afraid that this one would besmirch my memories of it.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

The making of this movie was kind of a bold move considering the huge success of the original. I will only be able to see it on DVD (no nearby movie theaters) so will miss the 3D effects. Thanks to your review, I will probably see it on the small screen anyway.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Not planning to see this current film, Ginnie, and like Arkansas Pattinthere are no local movie theaters closer than a 90 minute drive. Nothing can replace or match the original, Wizard of Oz, and as my given name is Dorothy I have been asked countless times about my little doggie or the wicked witch.

5:49 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

My personal record is that I have never seen The Wizard of Oz although I know I have seen parts of it. Go figure.

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My only memory, as a small child, of the 'Wizard of Oz' is hiding under the seat in the cinema when the witch appeared, and I've never watched it since those far off days.

8:30 AM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

I'm really looking forward to seeing it, especially now that you've recommended it. My son has friends over every Wednesday night for a themed dinner and movie night. This evening is Wizards and Waffles. You guessed it, we are watching the original Wizard of Oz and also The Wiz. Our plan is to go see the new Wizard movie this weekend.

4:00 PM  
Blogger joared said...

Appreciate your sharing your impressions and reactions to this movie. Reviews I've read concur. Don't have children of an age that want to see the movie so likely I won't view it. I've enjoyed the original "OZ" too.

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Wizard of Oz is of particular interst to me as it was based on a book written during the Gilded Age by Frank Baum, a consummate politician.
The yellow brick road stands for the gold standard.

Wm. Jennings Bryan is the lion. You might remember he made the "cross of gold" speech.

The Wicked witch of the East is the Eastern political establishment which cared little for the west, or so Southern and Midwestern 'Populists' farmers thought.

The Scarecrow is the farmer.

The tin man was silver in the book and silver was readily available in the West. Farmers and other westerners wanted as the basis for money.

Dorothy's shoes were silver in the book (I know they were not ruby).

MGM played down the politics, but the book was very popular in the 1890s among southerners and westerners who understood its message.

Dianne

7:43 AM  
Blogger ellen said...

I remember seeing The Wizard of Oz when I was just a little thing and it scared the pants off of me. I may be one of the few beings on this planet that never wants to see it again.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I saw the original one and that was good enough for me. Not many movies right now that I want to see. But I did like Lincoln a lot.

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home