Friday, February 15, 2013

Not a diet … a new lifestyle !



A few posts back I told you about my medical condition called SIBO and all the food restrictions that go along with it. At first it seemed almost too much to accept but I’m actually enjoying the challenge and here are three of the many recipes that I’ve been able to adapt to fit the program:

(Not allowed: white potatoes, milk, margarine) The answer (and a very tasty one)…CAULIFLOWER “MASHED POTATOES”. Cut floweret’s off large cauliflower and cook until tender. Mash with a potato masher, add butter and salt/pepper to taste.

(Not allowed: refined grains, sugar) The answer: WHOLE WHEAT FRENCH TOAST: (Luckily honey is allowed because it doesn’t grow bacteria) Whisk two eggs with a dash of water. Dip 100% whole wheat bread slices in mixture and fry on both sides in butter until golden brown. Good buttered and topped with a little honey and/or some homemade applesauce.

(Not allowed: processed meats such as bologna, sausage, hot dogs) The answer: STEAK KABOBS: boneless sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into squares. Marinate and refrigerate at least 2 hours in this mixture … 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp. honey, 1 tbsp. grated ginger, 1 clove garlic crushed, 1 tsp. grated lemon peel and ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes. Preheat broiler. Alternate beef, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms & bell peppers on skewers and broil 2 inches from heat … turning until meat is medium rare & vegetables are lightly brown … about 10 min.

These are just three of the many recipes that I am gathering and you can see that it’s hardly a deprivation ! If you have any favorites that fit these requirements I hope you’ll share them with me.









6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Eating well just takes a little more work. Unfortunately, I don't like to work a little harder.

6:39 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I'd have to go through mine and check, but I can't think of any. I know I would like mashed cauliflower. My MIL used to make mashed turnips and I loved those. We eat whole wheat bread almost daily. It id good that you seem to have a good idea about the diet - I'm not sure I would. I hate to be deprived of anything.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

You really seem to have a good handle on this. Way to go. I will have to try the mashed cauliflower. Always looking for a new way to do veggies.

2:29 PM  
Blogger possum said...

As my Lymes diet is very similiar to yours, I will share this: I eat a slice of Ezekiel bread for my first breakfast. I get the kind with raisins in it. Delicious! I have that with tea and honey, and my morning meds. An hour or so later, I have oatmeal and usually an apple.

5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It truly is a new way of life for you. I eat some of those things too. Who knew that foods could make so much difference to our health. Dianne

8:29 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

You are making me hungry for some of those cauliflower mashers. I don't eat bread or red meat so I'll have to pass on those.

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home