Sunday, January 06, 2013

A JACKET FULL of PUPPIES … 1973

…and a “sit-down” affair !

In 1973 my family and I were living in a small town in upstate New York. We didn’t entertain like we had while living in N Y city but on this night we were having a formal dinner party for 12 couples.

It was a snowy November evening and all of our guests had arrived, but where was my husband? He and our oldest son had gone out hunting early in the day. Now it was well past dark and still no sign of them.

I was starting to get panicky but then I heard a car door slam and knew they were home. We all went to greet them and watched as they carefully lifted Dick’s hunting jacket out of the back of the Blazer. It seemed to be heavy and it took the two of them to carry it inside.

That was when we heard the tiny yapping sounds and we realized that his jacket was full of newborn pups. There must have been 7 or 8 of them and Dick explained what has transpired.

He had noticed a pregnant dog about 4 weeks earlier and every time he went into the woods he would call to her and they became friends. About 2 weeks before our party Dick noticed that the mother would not come to his call and he assumed that she must be having, or already had, her puppies

So it was a shock when Dick and Mark stumbled onto the body of the mother. She had most likely been killed by a ruthless hunter who saw movement in the brush and assumed that it was a deer. They were devastated and then their next thought was, “where are the pups?” They finally located them scrunched into a hollow log covered with snow and they extricated them one by one and bundled them in Dick’s jacket.

You can imagine the rest of the story. We took turns sitting on the kitchen floor, fancy dress clothes and all, cuddling the pups and feeding warm milk to them. So it became a “sit-down” dinner party after all.

And, to top it off, one of the guests was a journalist. He wrote an article that tugged at the heart strings of many readers and all of our little “orphan pups" were adopted into good homes.

**********************************************************
(If this story is familiar to some of you it’s because it’s a re-entry. I apologize but a really bad head cold has put me to bed and my “blogger thinker” is not working !)



12 Comments:

Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hope you are feeling better soon, Ginnie. This was a sweet story which I had not read before.

6:53 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Ginnie--You had me at your title...a jacket full of puppies? Oh, I hope they were all happily adopted and lived lives of comfort.
So sad for mama dog. Too often, humans shoot dogs when they simply should not.

3:56 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I am so sorry you are feeling pooly. Hope it goes away soon.
This was a great rerun, especially since I hadn't seen it before. What a neat story with a happy ending.

5:56 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Well worth sharing again, Ginnie. Take care of yourself and feel better soon.

8:43 AM  
Blogger ellen said...

I just love this. I wish I had been there and it reminds me of years and years ago of a "puppy" incident at our house.
Do take care.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

I did remember this story Ginnie but forgot how touching it was. It's one of the nicest stories I've ever read.
I hope you are doing better. It seems that everyone I know has been sick lately. Love Di ♥

4:49 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Awwwww. No, I don't remember the story. How sweet! And they turned out to be lucky pups after all.
Hope you feel better soon!

5:35 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

A lovely story and a family memory. I trust you are recovering from your head cold. This being the flu season all such illnesses are a little scarier.

2:03 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

What a great memory. And a wonderful reponse to it all on the part of your guests. . Take care of that cold now...:)

3:53 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

This seemed new to me, and it was another great Ginnie anecdote.

4:39 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I must have missed it before (or my brain is frozen) but I'm glad you reposted it. It is such a sweet story!

Hope you feel better soon.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

What a great story! And so glad that they were adopted. Hope that you feel better soon.

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home