Monday, February 11, 2013

A B&B for my buzzards …



As many of you know, I have a “thing” for my buzzards. I’ve read all the bad press that they get but I love them. They come by the droves (anywhere from 10 to 50 !) and inundate the huge trees behind my house. They gracefully loop and swirl before they slowly and deliberately drop down and settle on the limbs where they take up their stances like sentries and I feel like they are watching and protecting me.

They seem perfectly happy to sleep in the trees and then head out every morning in search of “goodies”. I’ve often wondered how far a-field they go and what they find of interest. Well, as fate would have it, I didn’t have to wonder a few days ago.

I live pretty close to a very heavily trafficked road and it’s a pretty hazardous place for the deer that have over populated our area. One such animal was hit and killed recently near my house and my buzzards seemed quite pleased with the whole affair.

                                       
As my son-in-law (who took this picture) said “now you can say you have your very own Buzzard’s Bed and Breakfast”.




9 Comments:

Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Hey, it is an ugly job but someone has to do it and they do it well. I do love their graceful flight as they ride the air currents in search of supper. I have a local group of about 5 that I like to watch.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

One buzzard to another: Carrion, Dude.

4:16 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Same story here. Between the cars and the falls hunters who can't find what they've shot.... The turkey vultures do.

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buzzard's B&B. What will you think of next? Hawks are me. Dianne

2:36 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Ginnie, I do understand that everything is something else's lunch but would prefer not to see buzzards around. Our local predator is a sharp-shinned hawk, which I must admit looks prettier than a buzzard. And, I had to chuckle at John's (Anvilcloud) pun...quite witty of him.

5:24 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Nature has its way of taking care of things.Few people realize that the mighty Bald Eagle is a scavenger, too, and will often fight the buzzards for the dead body.

5:15 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I saw an article about lots and lots of Turkey Vultures in Shelby, NC. Seems the winter has been mild and the birds haven't moved on. The residents there don't seem to like them as much as you and I.

7:09 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Carrion birds perform a great service to all things living. I hate roadkill--it makes me sad, but I smile when I see crows, and buzzards dropping in for a snack. And I slow down to give them some room (though not on an expressway--too dangerous to slow down there).

7:55 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I have often wondered where they nest here. I know that they are ground nesters in some areas. Have you seen the babies near your house?

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home