Thursday, February 07, 2013

Read the labels !!!


As most of you know my gastroenterologist has put me on a very stringent diet and I find that I’m actually having fun trying to figure it all out. Refined grains are a “no-no” but 100% whole grain crackers (such as the ORIGINAL Triscuits) are fine.

I highlighted “original” in the last paragraph because look what I discovered when I decided to “live a little” and picked up a box of Roasted Garlic Triscuits.

This is the complete list of ingredients for the Original Triscuits:
“WHOLE WHEAT, SOYBEAN AND/OR PALM OIL, SALT. CONTAINS: WHEAT. 0 - SUGAR”

Now, compare that with the ingredients on the side of the same looking box of Triscuits but with the addition of roasted garlic:
“WHOLE WHEAT, SOYBEAN OIL, MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, MONOGLYCERIDES, GARLIC POWDER, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE (FLAVOR ENHANCER), NATURAL FLAVOR, CORNSTARCH, DISODIUM INOSINATE AND DISODIUM GUANYLATE (FLAVOR EHANCERS), HYDROLYZED WHEAT AND CORN AND YEAST PROTEINS, SESAME OIL. 0 - SUGAR”.

Isn’t that amazing? Actually it was my sharp-eyed daughter who pointed that out to me and it makes me realize how very important it is to READ THE LABLES ! All those “mono-hyrdo-glycer-late-iums” must be in there for a reason and I doubt very much if it’s to promote good health !!

So, to sum up … my first line of action is to ALWAYS read the labels and find the products that fit my new dietary lifestyle. This will be time consuming but I plan to make a list of those that pass the test and will keep it handy when I go shopping.










11 Comments:

Blogger ellen said...

Oh, Dear Ginnie..I hope that you are on the mend. Do take care. It is amazing what is in so many packaged foods.
I have been grinding my own wheat in a little hand grinder for bread. Call me the Little Red Hen, and making Keifer. The bread is affectionately called Door Stop Bread, altho. it is not that bad in terms of density. Delicious and good for us.
Wishing you good health, Ellen.

5:17 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

Oops, just went back and read that cow's milk would be bad, but perhaps goat's milk keifer would be good.

5:18 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Good luck. I would not do well on any kind of diet.

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not all the ingredients are always shown ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21375594

7:31 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I hang my head in shame and contrition.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Those labels are intimidating. I read them and try to avoid most that have things I can't pronounce. Unfortunately there aren't many that aren't chemical depositories.
Wishing you good luck.

5:49 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Most manufactured food products have things added that have little to do with food value. I used to do work at a company that sold a product to the bread companies. I once asked one of the workers what the white flour like product was. I was told it was added to bread to make it last longer on the shelf. "Aha! you make the plastic that goes into the white plastic bread." was my response.

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, resding the labels is critical. Also watch for the portion tricks they use to make you think you are eating less. Dianne

12:42 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Good for you, Ginnie. We are also reading food labels and trying to avoid products containing either too many ingredients for processing and those with a list of items we don't understand. It sort of becomes like a game and shopping does take longer, but trying to make choices does take time. Hope you are feeling better. Looking forward to reading about your recipe posts.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Hughes ap Williams said...

Additionally, you have to read the label every time you buy a product. I am lactose-intolerant and you have no idea how many products suddenly add a milk based product to the ingrediants. Most recently I got sick after eating the same frozen battered fish that we had been eating for years...and discovered "milk" added to the batter.

12:31 PM  
Blogger possum said...

As you know we have numerous food allergies in my house, so reading labels has become standard practice. I SHOULD be gluten and sugar free (good luck with that!)and Anna's many allergies include corn. See what you can find wothOUT corn in some form in it. Not easy!
So I understand what you are going thru... you will soon have a degree in nutrition!

4:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home