Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Gorey … continued



One of my favorite things, after I post a blog entry, is to read the comments. My last post about the eclectic artist Edward Gorey was no exception and when I read my nephew Chris’ comment I felt that I had to share it with those of you who might not have seen it. He writes:

“Thanks for posting aunt Ginnie.

I don't know if you knew that your sister, Mary, would go to a restaurant in W. Barnstable and would often see Edward Gorey there. She took me one day when I was about 17 and indeed he was there and I was able to shake his hand briefly and thank him for all the creepy entertainment he had given me over the years. He was very eccentric and was wearing bright red lipstick and black eye liner as I remember it.

I was a huge fan from the time I was in my first year of high school. I can still recite every word of The Gashleycrumb Tinies (the alphabet book you mentioned) "A is for Amy who fell down the stairs, B is for Basil assaulted by bears" etc.

                                                   

I called Gorey when I was in high school to see if he would come in as a guest. I pleaded with him, but he kept on saying "I'm sorry. I'm just not good at that sort of thing."

His pen and ink drawings are brilliant and worth looking at for anyone who is not familiar with his work. Thanks again Ginnie ! Chris”

It’s not often that I get a comment with such first-hand information and I thought it was fascinating. Kind-of like Chris himself ! He’s the nephew that I wrote about back in July, ( "An inspired idea unites a community !" ) whose front yard garden brought a neighborhood together.

Chris is also an entrepreneur and owner of “WORLD KNIVES, LTD.” He has an amazing website and if you “google” it I promise you won’t be disappointed.

9 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You've left me flummoxed twice in a row. First I didn't know this Gorey dude. In this one, I never knew this Nephew Chris guy. ;)

8:00 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

If you hadn't blogged about Gorey, you might never have known that fascinating snippet from you nephew's life and your common interest. It has to make you feel good that he reads your posts. My sister is my only family member who does.

3:55 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Interesting. How fortunate to have a personal touch.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Ginnie, I did see the comment that your nephew, Chris, left on your previous post. What a great memory he shared with you and us.

8:51 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Love your nephew's real life connection.
And I too loved it when Google did a "remembering Edward Gorey" tribute, the other day.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Grace-WorkinProgress said...

What a nice story to share.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fitting that a fellow who met Gorey runs a knife business. Evil smirk. Dianne

11:57 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Such a great story. It made me smile.

6:11 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Well, you did it. I could not find my old Gorey book, so I ordered 3 of them. I figure after having a good chuckle again, I will have something to share with just the right person, or two. Yep, I know folks who would enjoy his stuff. Scary, huh?

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home