Thursday, March 07, 2013

This little shed …


… is much more than just a place where my son keeps his gardening utensils…although it serves that purpose too!

His home is on two acres of land that he’s lovingly tended for the past eight years. This has really become an avocation for him and he loves it. He is constantly experimenting and adding new flora as it hits his fancy.

It seems that every time I visit him he’s changed a location or added something new. Since so many of the plants are ones that he may never have heard of before, or might be a new variety of an old familiar one it could be hard to keep up with it all … but not for Matt !

He’s implemented this great way to keep it all straight and he calls it his reference library. It’s a compilation of all the seed packets and product tags of the items he’s bought over the years and he‘s posted them on the inside of the shed door.


Isn’t that clever ? It looks like he will run out of room in a season or so; but I’m sure he’ll think up something new by then !

14 Comments:

Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

That is a great idea. Can't tell you how many times I have looked at buds appearing and wondering what the heck I planted there but mainly, I plant things, forget what they are so I can't even look them up on the computer. Like him, I love to plant new and strange things.

4:49 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

It is good to have a reference library when asked what is the name of this plant.

7:10 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

A great idea for sure. I keep forgetting what I've planted...:(

9:04 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

A great idea for sure. I keep forgetting what I've planted...:(

9:04 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

The effect is downright artistic.
So great to have an engaging avocation.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Cleaver idea and very colorful as well, Ginnie. Glad you and your brother-in-law had pleasant times during his visit. It's always fun to go exploring and see something new each time, even if not the first time.

4:17 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I wish I had the energy and inclination to plant anything. I don't even do containers anymore.

I like his idea of posting the packets and sticks there. Makes a lot of sense!

4:30 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Neat idea! I, too, often forget what is where... I have started using marker stakes for some plants, especially ones that I want to move later.

5:16 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I have packages somewhere, not if I could only find them when I need them ...

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love an organized man. Although I can only see part of the house, I bet it is beautiful. All on one level too. Dianne

10:11 AM  
Blogger Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hello Ginnie,

I know I am visiting you after a long time. I enjoyed reading your interesting write up along with the photos.

My best wishes to you and your family
Joseph

5:37 AM  
Blogger joared said...

What a great idea for a seed packet collage so-to-speak. Very colorful, memory stimulator, and ready reference.

1:17 AM  
Blogger joared said...

What a great idea for a seed packet collage so-to-speak. Very colorful, memory stimulator, and ready reference.

1:17 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Great idea!

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home