Tuesday, May 08, 2018

A man of stature …


Although it will be no surprise to anyone that I am a Democrat I have to say that there is one Republican that I admire a lot … and that is John McCain. I have a strong feeling that when he ran for president in 2012 he might have won if he'd had a better running mate.

It was during that campaign that my respect for him grew even stronger. He was at a town hall gathering in Minnesota and the audience was asking him questions. It was apparent that the audience was strongly anti Obama and at one point a little old lady took the mike and called him “an Arab”. McCain took the microphone from her and said, in his quiet voice, “No, ma'am. He's a decent family man and a citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues, and that's what this campaign is all about.”

Isn't that wonderful… said like a true statesman. I hate that his life is plagued now with such a serious illness but he seems to be taking that on with the same grace and courage that he's shown all his life.






6 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

True! He deserves respect. An American hero.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

He's pretty good for a Republican. :)

He's done some inconsistent things like that running mate that you mentioned and a few odd votes (that I can't recall right now).

3:54 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I remember thinking when he ran for the nomination in 2000 that if my man lost and he won, I wouldn't be all that bummed. However when he ran with Sarah in 2008 my fear became that if he won, I would have pray daily for his good health so that she couldn't step into the presidency. He and I don't always agree but he is an honorable man. One who sincerely tries to help America and is a true statesman.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Ginnie. I, too, have great regard for John McCain. ON a totally different subject...I'm thinking of starting a blog...about getting older and "enjoying the ride." How do you like blogging? What's the best thing about it? And how about the not-so-great things about it? Anything insight would be appreciated!

9:32 AM  
Blogger Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Kathleen. I tried to contact you directly to answer your query about blogging but when I clicked on your name it came up with a very confusing Google thing and I could not find a way to reach you one-on-one. However you've posed a question that many have asked me and I will answer you in my next blog entry which I will post Sunday night. Thanks for commenting and your interest. Ginnie

2:22 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

I remember that incident very clearly. And the jerk who called him a "loser" because he was captured when his plane was shot down....:(

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home