Monday, April 23, 2018

1990 Wellesley College commencement…


In 1990 George H. Walker Bush was half-way through his tenure as President of the Unite States. It was also the year that his wife Barbara gave her unforgettable commencement address at Wellesley College. It must have been a great coup for the college to have her as speaker but I doubt if any of them could foresee that her final words would resonate so loudly today … 3 decades later.

Wellesley College, founded in 1870, is a womens liberal arts college in Massachusetts, with a proud heritage of producing strong women. Although not a graduate from there the First Lady surely fit that description and these were the final words of her speech:

Somewhere out in this audience may even be someone who will one day follow my footsteps — and preside over the White House as the president’s spouse,” she said. “And I wish him well!”

5 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

I liked Mrs, Bush. Her husband is in intensive care now? Together to the end.

5:13 PM  
Blogger possum said...

I enjoyed reading her speech. As you know, I included this same part in my Musings!
Great minds............

3:35 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I loved that and it spoke volumes about the lady.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Hallebose said...

I wish him wei too.

3:59 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

It will be so and the sooner the better.....

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home