Friday, December 16, 2016

“GOOD to the LAST DROP”


 
The “Good to the Last Drop” slogan to advertise Maxwell House Coffee started in 1917 and is one of the most recognizable slogans ever written. I never hear those words, without thinking of my father.
 
In the 40’s our whole family would gather 'round the big wooden radio in the living room to listen to our favorite shows like “Maxwell House Coffee Time”, better known as the “Burns and Allen Show”. We never missed an episode which always began with Gracie Allen saying "Another cup of Maxwell House coffee, George?" and George Burns replying, "Sure. Pour me a cup, Gracie."
 
Maxwell House was also the sponsor of the radio version of “Father Knows Best“. Each episode began with the youngest daughter Kitten asking, "Mother, is Maxwell House really the best coffee in the whole world?" to which her mother would reply, "Well, your father says so, and Father Knows Best!"
 
And I always thought that MY father knew what was best too…
 

... so, to this day every time I hear the words “good to the last drop” I recall his chuckle and the way he’d say “WHAT’S WRONG WITH THE LAST DROP???”


 



 




6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That's one of iconic lines where everybody can identify the product. At least everybody of older generations.FatherKnows Best is one show that I watched but i don't remember the commercial in that context. Maybe it wasn't used in Canada,or maybe I just don't remember.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

Great memory of your Dad, Ginnie.

I remember the slogan more than the programs.

3:37 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Ha ha, ya know he had a point. I loved Burns and Allen. "Say goodnight Gracie."

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A handsome fellow and very wise too.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I well remember the Maxwell House coffee slogan and although I also watched Father Knows Best, the commercials are not something I can recall.

12:58 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Musings just bounced back to me. ?????????
Everything OK?

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home