Monday, November 21, 2016

Did we “Throw out the baby...”


...with the bathwater? That's an expression that you surely know suggesting that one might accidentally throw out something good while attempting to eliminate the bad. It certainly seems to apply to our present dilemma.
I had not planned to staff the Democratic booth at our local precinct but a friend needed help there and called me. It was an eye opening experience. I arrived at 6 AM and was amazed to see that there was already a line waiting to vote. It kept up most of the day and looking back on it I realize from the results that a huge portion of them must have been voting for Trump. 

An interesting thing to me is how the people I knew reacted to my being there.  Only a few stopped to chat or gave me the thumbs up sign and only one gave me a hug. It makes me wonder how many people secretly voted for him and were embarrassed to own up to it. No wonder the polls had it wrong.

I certainly feel the unrest and need of so many of us but I pray that we haven't lost our capacity to feel deeply about our fellow man or woman, no matter the color of his/her skin or their ethnicity or religious bent.. It amazes me that so few seem to realize that we are a nation built of immigrants. The people who should really be ticked off, to my way of thinking, are the American Indians. They are the tribes that were here long before the rest of us and we've almost literally cast them aside. 
 
What hubris we American have ! I shake my head in dismay and pray that the “baby” will still be among us at the end of 2020




5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think that many people got muddled and lost their way in this one.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

I think you are right about people not saying who they voted for. I feared that from the beginning! People appear determined not to let him do what he wants without a fight however.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Evidently a lot voted for him on the sly. Pretty sure some are all ready feeling buyer's remorse, starting with the "lock her up" group. This will be an interesting and stressful 4 years.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you meant 2020, however, it feels like 1920. Yes, the Trump people showing open support, showed up to vote. Plenty of secret Trump supporters also turned out. A sad day. Many Democrats stayed home, some because they believed the lies about Hillary and didn't make the effort. Some were disenfranchised, especially n NC. I see your election results are still a mess.

11:36 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

You hit the nail on the head, Ginny. What a fiasco. A whole lot of lying gong on...:(

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home