Saturday, November 26, 2016

SNAP, CRACKLE & POP …


No, this isn't a story about the famous Rice Krispie guys. It's a tale about the sound they make… only much louder !

A few nights ago I was awakened by a sharp crackling noise and what sounded like beads hitting the floor. What could it possibly be? After a careful search, I found the culprit in my kitchen. My niece and I have been working on my property … trying to tame the encroaching trees and bushes. While doing so we became enthralled with the large, velvety pods that were so prolific and I collected a large amount of them, making it a display for my sideboard
 
 
Little did I know what I'd unleashed !!

These pods are erupting night and day. I can't believe the loud and sharp noise that they make as they open up and, of course, the big black seeds fly everywhere. Now I have the answer to my dilemma but where did these pesky legumes come from? At first I thought they hung from the trees but upon closer inspection saw that they were attached to the vines that encircle them.

Aha ! The mystery is solved. In the springtime the huge trees that define my property are
covered with Wisteria.
 
I have always loved to see that but (with apologies to you knowledgeable gardeners) never realized that they produced pods. 

It must be the time for the pods to open up and spread their seeds because the snap, crackle & pop is not just inside my kitchen. My property is alive with the sound and it seems to be telling me to pay closer attention to the beauty that surrounds me !

8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

This delights a part of me for some reason.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Wow, that is funny--- since I don't have to clean up the seeds. I didn't know that either.

7:21 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

HAHA....odd way to find out about the pods! I didn't know that about wisteria either, and I love it. Maybe you can set the basket outside until they all pop.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

I learn something from you with every blog post, Ginnie! Interesting!

10:22 AM  
Blogger possum said...

I knew they had pods, but the popping sounds - that's new to me. Guess I never brought any indoors. Our wisteria was small - I kept it trimmed WAY back. So there were not that any pods to pop open, I guess.

8:19 AM  
Blogger joared said...

That would be a startling sound to hear.

1:05 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

How frightening in the middle of the night. I keep my old shotgun in the bedroom closet for moments like this....:) Not really.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wisteria is an invasive weed. Left to its own it will bring down trees and unearth structures. Hopefully your Wisteria is not near your house. We have it all over the East and I detest it.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home