Monday, July 01, 2013

The memorial service for Peg …


This was the lovely setting for the memorial service held June 8th for my sister Peg who passed away in November of last year.  http://goldendaze-ginnie.blogspot.com/2012/11/peg.html
It is the Unity Church in North Easton, Ma.

This was the one part of my 3 week “vacation” that I was nervous about. I had been asked to say a few words about Peg and, although that was easy enough since I loved her very much, it was nerve wracking to say them in front of a room full of strangers. However, despite a few tears, I managed to fumble through and then it was time for her daughter, two sons and grandchildren to memorialize her and it was one of the most heart-felt services I’ve ever attended.

Her three children stood up together and one by one they recalled their favorite moments with Peg. Much of it centered around her love of family and everything that entailed …from her flying to the hinterlands of Alaska to comfort her daughter … to her 60 year marriage … to her love of cooking and her special delight in reading to the grandchildren. The love and devotion for their mother was apparent in every word they uttered.

Next it was the grandchildren’s turn. Each one had selected a book that they had shared with Peg over the years and they read their favorite part. I doubt if there was a dry eye left when the oldest grandson concluded the readings with ... 

….”Goodnight stars, goodnight air, goodnight noises everywhere …Goodnight moon”                  

… and Goodnight Peg … we love you.




10 Comments:

Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

What a beautiful memorial. While the tears must have flowed, I'm sure the shared memories had to warm the heart of all who felt her passing so much.

4:36 AM  
Blogger possum said...

(sniff... blowing nose...)
Beautiful. I feel like I was sitting there and knew her, too.
wow.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

It sounds like a wonderful memorial service in a lovely setting. Your sister was so much loved by her family. Memories of this day will live with you always.

7:48 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Wonderful tribute to your sister. I especially love "Goodnight Moon."

8:22 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

One of my best friends belonged to Unity and her funeral was there. I thought it was the best memorial service I had ever attended, and then we had another friend waked at Unity, and his was even better. If I were going to attend a church again, I think I"d love Unity.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Your sister was obviously much loved, Ginnie, and your post was a loving tribute to her.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

What a beautiful service it must have been. I liked the reading from books, especially "Good Night, Moon." And good night, Peg.

1:22 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Ginnie--this is just lovely. I so love the reading books that Peg read to her grandchildren. A perfect tribute.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sad to lose your sister. Condolences. Lovely post. Dianne

5:37 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Ginnie, it sounds like a moving and wonderful tribute to the life of your sister. A life well lived and much loved. What better way to remember someone than to have her children, you and the grandchildren speak of her.

4:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home