Wednesday, May 22, 2013

My Author Collection …

                               

My mother, as soon as she finished reading a book that she enjoyed, would often write to the author of that book and tell them so. It was amazing how many of them wrote back. But it was a cumbersome process because authors were controlled by their publishers and it was only through them that you could make contact.

It is a different world now and many authors actually put their email addresses on their websites. When I realized this I decided to start my own collection. That was four years ago and I grant you that an email does not have the charm (or frankly, the value) of a hand written signature, but it’s still fun.

I now have 21 email answers and here are excerpts from my three favorites:

“The Book Thief”, Markus Zusak ….”the fact that my writing has also meant something to you is something that can never be taken for granted. You write and think no-one will read it, let alone be compelled to write to you about it. You’ve made my day”.

“The Welsh Girl”, Peter Ho Davies …”Many thanks for your kind note. It is such a pleasure to hear from readers who’ve enjoyed the book. I was especially glad you liked that scene in the pub, it’s one of my favorites too “ etc. (he goes on to tell me of his new book which he is having trouble putting down on paper!)

“The Night Circus”, Erin Morgenstern … “I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed the book ! It is indeed my first novel and it’s amazing that the response has been so strong” etc. (also talks of her new idea for a book and signs it “Cheers, Erin”)

Give it a try … it’s fun, it’s FREE, and, as Markus said …it just might make their day … and yours !

8 Comments:

Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I haven't read any of those but I will surely pick them up. I have sent emails to authors when I especially loved a book and often get a response. They really seem to appreciate their readers.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I have no idea why I haven't done that before. They all provide their email address so there is no excuse not to thank someone for a pleasurable time. Thanks.

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once is a while I write something to an author. I reviewed so many books for Amazon (ten years ago) I became a 'classic' reviewer and still receive many requests to write a book review. Its totally overwhelming these days. Dianne

10:56 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What a fine idea.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

So good that you got the responses, Ginnie. I know that Pat Conroy lives nearby as do several other well known authors. Sometimes there are book signings and I've been to a couple of those. Great idea that you wrote to the authors.

4:25 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Never thought to try this and while not honestly sure that I will in the future, it was nice to read that the authors took the time to reply.

8:02 PM  
Blogger David Oliver said...

I had never thought of doing this! I'm not surprised at the response. It is a thoughtful thing to do both on your part and the author.

I like your site, admire your attitude toward life and hope you continued success!

5:28 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Ginnie--what a grand idea. You know, I have never thought of writing to an author.
I am sure there are many authors who appreciate knowing that someone cares enough to tell them.

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home