Friday, April 12, 2013

BUSTED … !!

My granddaughter is determined to bring me into the 21st Century. You may remember that at Christmas she gave me a Kuereg coffee maker and I’ve come to love it. Being a cheapskate I especially like the little thingy attachment where you can use your own coffee in place of the packaged cups !

Next in line was my birthday in February and she really shocked me by presenting me with a Kindle Fire. She knows how much I love to read and thought it would be perfect for me. Once again my thrifty nature took hold and I berated her for buying me such an extravagant gift and, in the back of my head I was thinking how expensive it was going to be to buy all the books to read on the Kindle. (I am used to yard sale books at tops $1 each !!)

BUT…to my delight I found out that you can actually use the Kindle as a library card and I have done just that. I can order the book on line and have two weeks to read it … just as I would the old fashioned way! I also took a tutorial and am slowly getting to know my way around the “Kindle world”… so once again my granddaughter has shown me the way.

However, just a few days after my birthday bash I got this sweet email from her and I thought it would be fun to share it with you: (in the “Subject“ line she entitled it BUSTED). “Hey Grandma, I just stumbled on the darndest thing. I was tinkering around online giving my brain a break and I came across your blog and saw a post from a few weeks ago saying how you preferred a good old fashioned book as opposed to a Kindle - I almost died, ha ha, I suppose that's what I get for not keeping up with your blog in a timely fashion! Anywho, I hope you are enjoying it and ARE NOT FEELING ANY PRESSURE to give up your "physical treasures" .

Who could ask for a sweeter granddaughter ???

 

11 Comments:

Blogger Hughes ap Williams said...

A client gave me a Kindle last year, not realizing that I didn't want one.

My husband and I both tried to use it...then for a while we periodically dusted it off...now I'm not sure where it is. Somewhere around the office.

6:11 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

Oh, she has got to be a darling. Enjoy your Kindle. I do have one, but it is the 75 buck one. It killed me to buy it, but eventually, even if you give books away, you run out of space. I will still have the real thing, but I have to say that I have enjoyed my cheap Kindle.

8:11 PM  
Blogger possum said...

I hate my kindle, too. I have read a few books on it. Some are free or can be had for 99cents. But I use it a lot to play Every Word... a simple word game that keeps my brain going during commercials, in a waiting room... my high score is over 37,000 - but I have only myself to compete with, which is a good thing.
If you are techy enough, you can access google and your email, but the print is so danged small, it is not worth the effort.
But, it is nice you are putting forth the effort. Good for you.
As for Kuerig, ours is still sitting in the box. We drink very little coffee anyway.

4:21 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Ah well. She's very good about it.

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HaHa, I could and do have a very sweet granddaughter. In fact, I have four of them. Dianne

PS Your girl is a treasure for sure. Happy reading.

8:03 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

That is wonderful. I loved my e- reader, but it is one from Borders and now that they are out of business, it is harder for me to get books. I used to get all the free ones they offered. I really need to learn how to do it with the library.

1:23 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I got a Fire HD when my old Kindle started displaying black bars every now and then. I LOVE the Fire. I didn't know about the "library" use other than the monthly one for Amazon Prime members. I'll have to check it out.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Nice, Ginnie. I have a Kindle and still prefer the hard bound books. But we do use the Keurig!

5:41 PM  
Blogger izzy said...

That was kind of her! I much prefer my musty dusty old books!

5:15 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

I think it's great that your family insists you live in the 21st century. And, it's great you willingly go along.
Of course you do discover new things with these new fangled things.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

My young grandson uses his reading device (not a Kindle) for borrowing books from the library. When I knew he did this I thought it was great. The library is less than 2 miles away. I would be even happier it he walked to the libary and back.

Toronto has 100 branch libraries in it's system. On its website you can find out if the library has a particular book and which libary has one on the shelf. They will also order in anybook for you which you can then borrow.

I suspect you can access books from the Internet Archive download them onto you Kindle. This is a repository of book no longer protected by copywrite so it is a great place of rare and classic book.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home