Thursday, May 02, 2013

SAN GIMIGNANO … for real and on film !


Recently I watched the delightful film “Tea with Mussolini” for the third time. This is a 1999 semi-autobiographical film directed by Franco Zeffirelli. It tells the story of a young Italian boy who is fostered by a circle of English and American women before and during World War II.

As any of you who follow my blog knows, I am a lover of Italy and especially of Florence where most of this film takes place. However, the walled city of San Gimignano with it’s amazing array of towers is a close second, so you can imagine how thrilled I was



when I saw that a good part of the movie was filmed there. I actually put the tape on “Pause” when they got to the plaza pictured here. Just looking at it transported me back to that magical day in 2008 when my son and I spent a day there.

I remember it so clearly. Mark and I had separated and I thought I’d lost track of him until I realized he was still inside this lovely church. He stayed there for a long time and was almost in a daze when he finally came out … saying he could hardly get his fill of the frescoes and the history portrayed there. I think this picture says it all…


                                           
“Tea with Mussolini” could hardly fail with a cast including Judi Dench, Joan Plowright, Maggie Smith and Cher … but the story is compelling on it’s own. Treat yourself to a viewing if you haven’t already had the pleasure … it’s a gem of a movie.

10 Comments:

Blogger ellen said...

Ginnie, I will do that asap. Thanks.

5:21 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

It's all on my bucket list. Florence in particular. Mrs. T and I visited Rome a few years back and then headed south. Now we need to go back and head north....:)

4:19 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I will definitely seek out this movie. I often watch TV and Movie shows more interested in the location than in the story, particularly if I can see places I have visited.

5:15 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I will definitely seek out this movie. I often watch TV and Movie shows more interested in the location than in the story, particularly if I can see places I have visited.

5:15 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Heading for Netflix, you have me interested. Besides, I just love Judi Dench.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Sounds excellent. Of course, I will never remember. And since video stores are gone ...

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful way to recall a lovely experience.

My favorite scene is when someone asks Cher if all Americans are like her.

She turns to the camera and says "Alas, no." We laughed out loud. Great film, although some of the dialog is historically incorrect. But then few script writers are historians. Dianne

1:14 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Heading to amazon as soon as I send this. Sounds like a movie I might like - I watch so few movies, but I love the area, some bitter sweet memories there, and I love Judi Dench...
Thanks for the suggestion!
I will think of you while watching it and imagine you and Mark there! That will brighten up the memories.

4:23 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I have seen this film and it is one to rematch, so if it's available on Netflix, I may give it another viewing.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Thanks, Ginnie. I like your recommendations. Have you seen the Borgias? It is a pretty good series.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home