Saturday, April 20, 2013

1980 … The Outer Banks and my DRIFTWOOD Whale



In 1978 my husband and I and our three children moved to North Carolina. It was quite a change from our previous years spent in the state of New York., but it wasn’t until 1980 that we actually got out to investigate some of our new surroundings.

We were able to take a small vacation and we opted for a trip to the 200 mile-long string of narrow barrier islands off the coast of North Carolina known as the Outer Banks. We stayed in Nags Head that first night and then headed south on the narrow road that snakes through the length of the islands.

We thoroughly enjoyed our drive but it was a little scary to say the least. There were many areas where the water was as close as 15 feet from the road on BOTH sides at the same time. It was Inlet water on the right and the Atlantic Ocean on the left

At one point we spied a big piece of driftwood that looked amazingly like a beached whale and Dick just had to have it. He struggled it back to our Chevy blazer and we spent the rest of our vacation with the “head” part sticking out of the back window.
 Almost as soon as we got home Dick mounted his prize on the side of our house and it‘s remained there ever since … a remembrance of him and of our trip to the Outer Banks.
 

9 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

Stories like this are special. Yes, it does look like a whale. Thanks for sharing it with us.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Love your "whale." How nice to have snagged such a special piece. Drift wood has always fascinated me.

5:06 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I'll have to take your word for it. My imagination is not working well this morning. :)

5:49 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Great driftwood whale. When I was a child we went to Nags Head for vacation every year. Later my husband and I went every fall while my mother watched our children.

We hadn't visited in over 20 years and went again in 2009. So disappointed to see the sprawl and housing that resembled a Monopoly board. Only the Pea Island Refuge remains the same. I won't be going back, but I'm so glad I was able to enjoy the quiet family beach in my childhood.

9:38 AM  
Blogger possum said...

AH, yes, the OBX - Outer Banks. Had a honey moon on Ocracoke a hundred years ago. Mark thought it was exciting, being from Michigan. Yes, some parts have become tourist traps... but if you want to feel you are out in the middle of nowhere - Route 12 is the road to be on. Just don't be on it when there is a storm coming!
Love that driftwood! A whale of a treasure!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

The outer banks are special. I have spent a lot of time there fishing.

5:47 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Fine whale indeed.
We've only visited Outer Banks once. I know some people who love to vacation there year after year. My own thoughts are--should we really be building on such a narrow strip of land? and, is that what the land was meant to be?

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David's family built several houses out on those islands. I disapprove of such activity as the barrier islandsa are part of a delicate ecology.

This is why I don't feel sad when big storms lash the area and wash the houses into the sea.

I wish the East Coast was more like CA where the shoreline and islands belong to everyone, and is protected by stong enviomental laws.
My 2 cents.

Dianne

6:23 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

It was a womderful trip for an inlander. These sand island should really be wild life preserves with limited access for people. They are there to protect the mainland.

Don't you just love "found art".

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home