Sunday, May 26, 2013

Much more than a loyal friend …


This little guy is about 4 inches tall and he’s made of rubber. He sat on my husbands desk for years and I remember how Dick would squeeze the dickens out of him to exercise his hands. It’s amazing that he’s held up as well as he has.
When Dick passed away in 1990 I put the little guy on my desk and he’s remained there ever since. I’ve loved having him near me because he’s a sweet reminder of many happy bygone times but I’ve rarely put him to use as Dick did.
Well, times have changed. Now I am the one with the arthritic hands (as you can see in this picture) and my little pal does not seem overjoyed to be, once again, the recipient of all that squeezing.
 

But he puts up with me and it does help. I squeeze, hold for the count of 5, release and repeat that exercise 10 times per hand and I do that at least 3 times a day. It doesn’t help the looks of my hands but it does help to keep the pain at bay and for that I am grateful.

8 Comments:

Blogger troutbirder said...

Good trick. And I find it more helpful that the "immobilizing" sling the Doctor gave me for the same thing...:)

4:35 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I guess I need me wunna dose.

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to borrow your little guy. I am having great difficulty with my right hand. Dianne

7:43 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

A loyal friend indeed.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

He really takes one for the team. I have thought of getting a squeeze ball for that same reason. I like the personality of yours. He would make you smile as you work.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

And your little friend is certainly doing his bit to help put the family, so he must be considered as one of the family too.

4:20 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Hey, a good idea! Now that my hands are getting so stiff and sore... it might help! But do they have any that look like, um, Brad Pitt? Richard Gere? Then again, if it looked like certain political individuals, I might choke it more often! LOL!

3:43 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I have seen people squeeze rubber balls to strengthen the hands. And then there are the grips at the gym which are spring loaded and used to strengthen the hands. This little thing is neat!

1:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home