Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A change of pace …


Well, it’s day 3 for me in New York City and it’s time for some “couth” ! A trip to the Metropolitan Opera House (part of the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts) will fit the bill perfectly…and that’s where Wendy and I are headed.

The ever-moving water fountain catches our eyes first as we approach this magical area …but we don’t tarry too long. We are there for the Met’s rendition of “Romeo and Juliet’, the ballet, and we don’t want to be late.

Now we’re inside the Opera House and it’s overwhelming:


I can’t help but wonder if the performance will live up to the surroundings and I am pleasantly surprised. Here we see Herman Cornejo as Romeo and Xiomara Reyes as Juliet:

 
Their performance was flawless, as was that of the entire cast, but I thought their costumes (unlike the picture above) were a bit overdone. It was hard to see the actual ballet steps when they were so heavily clothed. However, the music by Sergei Prokofiev was excellent and I would have loved the performance if it had consisted of that alone!
So ends my 3rd day in the “Big Apple”. Tomorrow I head back to my daughter’s home but not until I have one last venture that I’ll share with you in my next entry !
 

7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I'm sure it was magnificent.

5:53 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Ballet is still on my bucket list. Lucky you to have witnessed it in the Big Apple no less.

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Young Herman's costume in the picture is certainly not "overdone". Just love that short shirt ! ;-)

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I have this cataract surgery, I will come back and look at these photos again. Today, everything is fuzzy. I love the Romeo and Juliet ballet. For many years, I had season tickets to the performances of visiting ballet companies that came to DC to perform at the Kennedy Center.

David doesn't like these ventures, mostly because we always see his ex-wife and her husband when we attend (he for whom she left David), so I gave up tickets to the opera, ballet and several theaters around town. Dianne

6:19 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

When the music is that great, the dance almost seems secondary.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I have enjoyed the sights of NYC through your brief trip there, Ginnie.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

That sounds like a great performance. I'm glad that you had a great time in NYC.

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home