Friday, July 05, 2013

Approaching the Cloisters via The Heather Garden …


Can you see the George Washington Bridge in the upper right corner of this photo? It’s proof that this floral oasis exists in the same city that is often viewed as dirty and overpopulated.

  Of course I’m referring to NY City where I was spending part two of my recent 3 week vacation. I was staying with my niece Wendy and we were taking advantage of this one day of sunshine to visit “The Cloisters”, a branch of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

You can actually drive there but it’s so much nicer to take the subway to Ft. Tryon and then walk the winding paths of the Heather Garden. This is a 1935 Olmstead planned area that is approximately 3 acres of land overlooking the Hudson River and culminates with a set of stone steps and walks that lead to The Cloisters.

We even had the treat of watching a workman trim the top branches of this tree ! It was fascinating to watch him hoist himself up the trunk …scuttling along like a monkey.


 
…and here’s Wendy as we approach the end of our walk and near the steps that take us on the last path to The Cloisters.
 
 
 My next blog entry will take us inside !  
 


8 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

I missed a chance to see the Cloisters in the early 60's, so I will be looking forward to your next post.

4:45 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Most interesting. A tiny oasis in the great city. F.L. Olmstead was a true genius...

11:11 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I would never have thought that was part of NY City. Really pretty and the bridge proves it. Nice shot.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Good that you are on vacation in NY city. So much to see. Looking forward to your post about the Cloisters.

4:17 AM  
Blogger possum said...

oh my, I have not been there in 50 years. I had forgotten how beautiful it is. Lucky you!

4:46 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Yes, I have visited the Cloisters at least twice when we lived in NJ and agree that it is an amazing place. Looking forward to seeing more photos to bring back those memories for me as well, Ginnie.

4:59 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It seems like a fine outing.

4:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these photos. I am very fond of the Olmsted brothers. Wrote about some of their works for one of my history grad courses. They designed the grounds at Biltmore Estate in NC and at the Kohler plant in Wisconsin. Beautiful work of the Gild Age.

Dianne

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home