Wednesday, March 27, 2013

MOVING ON …



In 2010 I finally became a patient at the UNC School of Dentistry in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. This was not as easy as it sounds. After I applied I was sent an extensive questionnaire and then after I had that completed and sent back to them I had to wait to see if I would be one of the lucky ones chosen at their monthly drawing. (After three months if your name is not chosen you have to start the whole process over !!)

Luckily, in month #3 my name was chosen and the next step was a screening by one of the Dental professors in the program. This was very extensive and many xrays were taken in preparation for my treatment. I was very pleased to find that the consult and the 26 xrays totaled a cost of just $76.

Now I was ready to meet “my” dental student… who turned out to be Rob, a personable young man from Pennsylvania, in his 2nd year at UNC Dental.


…and now it is 2013 and Rob is about to graduate ! He has taken such good care of me, running the gamut from basic cleaning to fillings in his 2nd & 3rd years to his final treatment this past week. That was the application of a crown on a side tooth that was tricky to work with. He did his usual excellent work … but, by then, I would have expected nothing less …as would his professors who always praised his work.

I knew that becoming a patient at UNC Dental would save me money but I really had no idea how good that care would be. If you happen to read this, Rob, I wish you well and know that your future Dental office will be over flowing with grateful patients.

10 Comments:

Blogger Vagabonde said...

You are so lucky to be able to go to a dental college for care. When I came to the US and lived in San Francisco I was able to get my teeth worked on at the University of California. My dental student was Japanese and he filled my teeth with gold – that’s what they did in the 60s… he got an A on all his work. But yesterday, on my birthday, I had to take my husband to the dentist instead of a nice lunch. The dentist replaced his crown for $1400! I could not believe how expensive this is. Thanks for coming to my blog. I have long entries but only once a week or 10 days. I take a lot of photos and download them anyway. I write around the photos so it does not take that long. I spend a lot more time reading my friends’ blogs than writing posts. You talked about Mort in your last post. He was one of the first blogs I read when I started my blog in 2009.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Oh my, how fortunate for you. Sure wish there was a dental school nearby here. In Florida I use to go to the local hygienist school for routine cleanings. They were good, supervised and really inexpensive. Dentist visits these days are sooooooo expensive. The cost of a single crown now would have bought a brand new VW bug back in the day.

2:32 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

You were so lucky to get chosen!! I have been trying to get my better half to apply for it for a long time. Maybe if he reads this he will!

5:08 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Rob must be in cloud nine now :-)

9:48 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

That's great! We have MUSC here in Charleston and my sponsor when there to the school to have his teeth worked on. It is a great deal.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Dentists live in nice neighbourhoods, for sure.

5:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lovely tribute and something to think about as I dread dental visits mostly for the cost. Dianne

6:47 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Lucky you!
For years my cousin was my dentist, but i didn't get any family break! He was one of the best and very expensive... but he capped my teeth back in 72 and 74 nd I still have them!
Wish there were a dental school here!

11:23 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I have long held that medical schools and dental schools are great places for care. I know you have mixed feelings about your dentist as he enters private practice.

7:54 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Sounds like a good deal that worked out well!

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home