Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Is problem solving easier in the AM ?????

Recently I heard the results of a new study claiming there is now proof that we, as humans, are more intelligent in the morning … so I decided to research it. Of course that brought up reams of info to the contrary (heavily backed up with “proof”, also) so there seems to be no end to the controversy.

However, I have my own research to fall back on. For many years I have worked on a nightly crossword puzzle. I am hoping that it will stave off Alzheimer’s or, at the very least, help to keep me half-way alert in my old age !
  Anyway, I often find (especially with the NY Times puzzles) that I can get most, but not all, of the answers. It’s frustrating but I’ve learned not to let it become a big deal. I simply put the puzzle aside and hope I can finish it in the morning.

What amazes me is that usually I can ! Those troublesome clues seem crystal clear to me in the early hours of a new day. I will fill in the answers and wonder why in heaven’s name I couldn’t bring them up the night before !

So it certainly does seem (for me anyway) that I am more intelligent in the morning; but, what about you? Let’s have our own little independent “blogger poll” and see what it reveals.

8 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

I find if I sleep on a problem or query, I know the solution in the morning. I agree with you!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I sometimes think I make more careless errors if I play Sudoku at night, but it would require a scientific study to determine this for sure as a general principle.

4:31 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I am a morning person so this is a no-brainer for me.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Kudos to you, Ginnie, for being able to complete the New York Times crossword puzzle either at night or in the morning!

3:39 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Not a chance. I'm still half asleep till about 10 a.m....:)

4:38 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

My inherent circadian rhythm is to be a night owl. I was forced to alter that during my working years but it always seemed unnatural. I would get up far earlier than I needed to in order to trick myself into thinking it was later when I went to work because I had been up for two hours. There is no doubt at all that I do my sharpest thinking in the evening. And of course, I married a man who awakens sharp as a tack in the mornings and snoozes in his recliner in the evenings.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

From my friend Jan:
I guess one can find research to back up any theory... just ignore the opposing statistics, right? But, for us morning people, well, we KNOW we are smarter in the mornings. Period. But, for anyone who can FINISH the NYT crossword, hell, girl, you are smarter even when you are asleep than I am wide awake!
I spend about a week working on our little local once a week free newspaper's crossword. I work on it at night, during commercials or stuff on TV that I really don't care about watching. I have trouble with it cuz I have no idea who most of the celebrities of today are, I watch maybe 3 movies a year, some years none... so I have NO idea who or what they are talking about sometimes. AND, there is NO answer to help until NEXT Friday! Bummer! So, yeah, it takes me a week to get MOST of it and sometimes I fudge in a name with no idea if it is right- just so the rest of the words look right!

5:21 AM  
Blogger Joared said...

While doing a crossword can be helpful and the words change from puzzle to puzzle the activity is the same. The brain needs stimulation with new and different activities for broader brain neuro stimulation.

Oh, my life has required adjustments from day to night person or visa versa at various times. In retirement I’ve reverted to being a night owl so think my sharpness probably depends on which mode I’m in.

3:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home