Saturday, May 11, 2019

Twinkies get a sales boost from Walmart


I saw an article today that said Hostess Brands, the maker of  TWINKIES,  just got an upgrade by J P Morgan thanks to record sales at Walmart.   I guess this is good for the company but it makes me wonder about us, the consumers.

Part of the sales pitch for TWINKIES is the fact that they are soft and appealing but take a gander at the 37 ingredients that make them that way …

Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour [Flour, Reduced Iron, B Vitamins (Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Folic Acid)], Corn Syrup, Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable and/or Animal Shortening (Soybean, Cottonseed and/or Canola Oil, Beef Fat), Whole Eggs, Dextrose. Contains 2% or Less of: Modified Corn Starch, Glucose, Leavenings (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Monocalcium Phosphate), Sweet Dairy Whey, Soy Protein Isolate, Calcium and Sodium Caseinate, Salt, Mono and Diglycerides, Polysorbate 60, Soy Lecithin, Soy Flour, Cornstarch, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Sorbic Acid (to Retain Freshness), Yellow 5, Red 40.

Sugar, water, eggs, flour and salt are about the only ingredients that I recognize. Are the other 32  harmless?  After all, it's TWINKIE, the treat that's been with us since 1930.  


Here's a copy of a 30'S ad for TWINKIES.  Kind of tugs at your heartstrings doesn't it ?



And now to really get your taste buds salivating  Walmarts has added a new delight.  It's 
DEEP FRIED TWINKIES …"flash fried before being frozen"  Yum,Yum, I can't wait 


5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I wonder if I've even ever had a Twinkie? I really can't recall.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Joared said...

I was never a fan of Twinkies and won’t be for the new ones. But to each his or her own.

4:29 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

Processed food has many unpronounceable chemicals passed off as food. It really isn’t fit to eat.

9:53 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

My son is typically not a junk food eater. But he and his marathon running buddy try every deep-fried thing you can imagine at the State Fair. He says the fried Twinkies are really good. But he also ate (and liked) deep fried butter. But he would never allow anyone to give his daughter a Twinkie.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Reading this post, Ginnie, almost had me wanting a Twinkie as it's been years since I had one. They were never a favorite and reading that list of ingredients makes me think twice.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home