Friday, April 05, 2019

Plum Island, Massachusetts 1937

My oldest sister Mary is gone now but she was the one who gave me the particulars surrounding this photo. I had heard family members speak of Plum Island over the years but I really don’t remember going there. Also I was confused because I couldn’t fathom how we would be able to afford the whole summer of 1937 on vaction in New England. We had very little money then with 5 girls to clothe and feed...and we lived in New Jersey, nowhere near the shoreline of Massachusetts.

However, according to Mary, our Mother suffered from severe back pains and a friend of the family offered us his cottage on the island for the summer. We girls ranged in age from 4 ½ (that was me, the youngest) to 13 years, so we would be able to care for ourselves and enable Mother to get a well deserved rest.


Our get-away was spent in a tiny cottage named “Alice”. It was one of a group of compact little wooden structures and was directly on the beach. Although we had a rudimentary kitchen there were no bathroom facilities and our community of families shared an outside shower and an outhouse.

There was a small store, a run down board walk and an open-air building where we could play games, listen to music and work on jig saw puzzles. No TV’s, cell phones, or other distractions ... just lots of sun, sand and ocean.

As I gaze again at that picture I can’t help but chuckle at the silly little girl (me) with the bottle on her head. Little did I know then that “putting the cork in the bottle” was to play a huge part in my later life. I certainly didn’t seem to be worried about it then !



8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It would be nice if you had some direct memories, but I think memoirs of memories aren't bad, even they are someone else's memories to begin with.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

I wonder sometimes if things I remember are really the stories I’ve been told. I love those old photos!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Cute picture. That to me sounds like an idyllic place for kids and a great place for Mom to heal up .

10:04 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

No TV, cell phone or other distractions. Just sun, sand, and ocean. Sounds about perfect to me.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How true Mom!!

1:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How true Mom!!

1:56 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We have never been to Plum Island, but others we know here in New England have told us we should go and so we will one day. Thanks for sharing your memories and photo.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Joared said...

Lovely times without TV, and digital. Interesting you didn’t recall that unusual summer.

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home