Tuesday, February 12, 2019

A thrill … the Cedar Waxwings return … again !


I couldn't believe my eyes when I glanced out my bedroom window this morning. For the 2nd time, since 1978, the elusive and decorative Cedar Waxwings came to visit. They (3 of them) had settled on a branch of my Scuppernong grape bush. I knew I would not have time to take a photo so I simply basked in their beauty.

Sure enough they were gone within a minute but it brought back this sweet memory from 1978. My mother, who lived in Massachusetts, was staying with us for a few winter months in our North Carolina home. At age 84 she was still very active and her mind was exceptionally alert.

I'll never forget the morning when I heard a loud cry of astonishment from her bedroom and I went running to see if she was OK. Thankfully she was but she quietly pointed out the window and this was what I saw. More than 20 Cedar Waxwings were settled to feed on the berries of a small tree in our backyard. The tree was just outside her window and we were not more than10 feet from the birds.

We watched in awe as these lovely creatures fed to their heart's content. I wanted to get my camera but Mother put her hand on my arm and said “Don't move. They'll be gone before you get back. Just savor the moment” … and she was right. All of a sudden the birds perked up, as if they'd heard a silent alarm, and within a minute they were gone.

That was 40 years ago and those 3 things, (my Mother, the waxwings and the little tree) are all gone now ... but it gave me pause this morning when the 3 Cedar Waxwings came to visit. Could they be reminding me that nothing is ever gone if you have wonderful remembrances of it?

8 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Such a wonderful memory, Ginnie!

8:01 PM  
Blogger Joared said...

Lovely memory and thought.

3:52 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Whatever glimpses I have had of waxwings have been fleeting, and I have not had many,

4:37 AM  
Blogger Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

My friend Possum is having a hard time getting this posted so she sent it direct. Here it is:

"Ah, yes. February... the month the cedar waxwings travel thru. I have lots of bushes they enjoy, but I have had many of the large privet trees cut down this past year. I have saved a lot at the eastern corner just for them. I must keep an eye out for them!

I am so glad they have been back to visit you - and especially that your mother got to see them one time- a great memory. Thanks for sharing!"

You can see her at http://possumlane.blogspot.com/

10:35 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Have never had the pleasure of seeing a Cedar Waxwing. Guess that is on my to do list.
To have seen 20 was amazing. A wonderful memory to have shared with your mother.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

What a special memory! Thanks for sharing it.

4:43 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

We used to get a flock of them in our pussy willow tree. What a wonder to behold.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The cedar waxwing is one we used to see when we lived in VA, as Possum does, but I never was able to get a good photo as with other birds. The story about you and your seeing them together is a wonderful memory and better than any photo.

4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home