Monday, March 04, 2019

The 1950's … a wondrous time

In the 1950's Jergens lotion was already on the scene but they decided to launch a new campaign to boost sales. They did this in the form  of magazine ads.  Each ad told a short story that always ended up with Jergen's lotion making all the difference in the lives of the people in the ads. The ad you see here here is an example: 
This didn't particularly interest me until I learned that my Grandparents Brattleboro, Vermont neighbors had been chosen for one of the Jergens ad series.I hate that I don't have a copy of the actual ad but what I do have is the original Jergens' script.

The script is entitled “Four youngsters to feed, Daily Housework & Chores on her Vermont farm” and it features the dutiful wife Bertha, husband Herman and their 4 children. The script calls for 4 pictures (with instructions on how to stage them) and then a short blurb under each to promote Jergens' Lotion. It reads like this:

Ad # 1 (Bertha gazing dreamily into the camera)
My secret for pleasing Herman is always to be cheerful and prettied up when the day is done. I have a shower, put on an attractive dress, fresh makeup and, of course, Jergens Lotion in case we might hold hands across the table”.

Ad # 2 (Bertha and daughter) “Mary and I love to wax and polish and it doesn't bother my hands at all because Jergens Lotion keeps them so smooth and soft. Herman says they look as if I am a lady of leisure”.

Ad # 3 (Bertha washing dishes)) “Those hungry wolves of mine make every meal a production but I don't mind the dishes. Jergens Lotion gives my hands a 'never put them in water look' because I keep a bottle in the kitchen”.

Ad # 4 (Whole family seated for dinner. Bertha and Herman holding hands across the table and gazing into each others eyes.) “Herman beams at Martha across the table and gives her Jergens-soft hand an extra squeeze that seems to say 'we're just about the happiest couple in the world aren't we ?”

The 1950's … a wondrous time … when a bottle of Jergens Lotion and lots of hard work and blind devotion on the wife's part could solve all your problems.

7 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Lol. Unbelievable. How times have changed.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's a interesting glimpse into past attitudes.

3:39 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Very interesting. I'm sure I would still recognize the smell of the old Jergen's after all these year.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Kind of glad times have changed. Have you tried Ebay? A friend of mine found an ad for Heinz Ketchup from 1961 that I was in and sent me the print copies. Amazing what is still out there.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a fan of the Jergen's Lotion scent. Interesting dialogue in those ads. Sad how bad it really was, and we females of that generation weren't even completely aware of it. Some of us (male and female) seniors are still hangin' around and, unfortunately, some of the men have the old attitude that their wives/partners must continue to do most of the work around the old homestead! Thank goodness my husband has made great strides altho' I still pull most of the load even though we're both retired.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Some of the older advertisements would be laughed at today, but they were appropriate for the times and I actually prefer them so much better, Ginnie.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Joared said...

Jergen’s lotion and soap were my Mom’s choice. Guess I got brainwashed as I use Jergen’s soap today.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home