Thursday, March 14, 2019

Joe Lebermann, New York City 1956


In 1956 I was working in NY City where I met a gentleman by the name of Joe Leberman. He was much older that I but we often attended the same affairs and we enjoyed each other's company. He was an out-of-work actor and I remember one night when he was very excited because he has just been given the role of the station master in “The Visit”, a play in 3 acts written by the Swiss playwright Friedrich Durrenmatt.

The Visit” was scheduled to open in the city at the Lunt-Fontanne theater in May but would preview in Boston first. I was excited because that was near where my parents lived and, with Joe's help, I was able to get two tickets for the out-of-town performance.

A night at the Shubert theater was a rare treat for my folks and they were thrilled Their seats were second row center in the orchestra and Dad said they were almost blinded by all the diamonds “aglitter on the bosoms of all those Boston blue bloods.”

After the performance they were invited backstage where they met Joe. They had a good chat and Joe told them he had been a character actor since the age of 21. He also introduced them to the other performers including the stars of the play Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne.

I attended the opening in May and it was fun to see a friend on stage although the play was a bit too dark for my taste. However the reviews were laudatory, the play had a successful run and I was happy for Joe.


5 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

You knew such interesting people, Ginnie.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

That was so sweet of him to do that for your parents. You have really met some interesting people along the way.
Thanks, that font was very easy to read.

4:09 AM  
Blogger gemma said...

great memory

1:17 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

That was really nice of him! The others are right; you have met and known some interesting people!

1:34 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I must admit that I have never heard of him. But I agree with the others. He seems to have been a very nice person.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home