Tuesday, April 16, 2019

That Crossword Obsession

Solving crossword puzzles just might be the world’s most popular pastime. Kings and ditch diggers alike put pencil to paper daily as they fill in those little squares in search of a solution.
I’ve found, in my own case, that a puzzle a day keeps the boredom at bay. That, and a good book, are my daily companions and I’d be lost without them.  My father’s favorite Sunday activity was to solve the New York Times puzzle so I grew up in this atmosphere. He considered this a family project and would include us all in his search for just the right word. It was great fun and we all celebrated when another week’s puzzle had been solved.

Recently I came across this little poem written in the 1920’s and it gave me a chuckle because I often find my head filled with these words from the crosswords that I’m working on.
“Anger, ire, temper, rage !
Era, epoch, eon, age !
Do, re, me and fa, so, la,
Egyptian sun god, Ra, Ra, Ra !”

I was bitten by the “crossword bug” a long time ago and it has only increased in intensity over the years, so I guess I will go to my grave calling out clues. How about this one? “Two small words in 6 letters, starting with T and ending with D, meaning Finale ?”

T _ _ _ _ D



7 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

You brought a smile, Ginny.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

My dad did the NY Times one also in ink. He so intimidated me, I never got into it. He knew all those obscure rivers in tiny countries.
The end.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The New York Times crossword puzzle brought back memories of a few folks who would do this one at one of my jobs. Kudos to your father and family for tackling it. I have dabbled with crossword puzzles, but never stuck with solving them.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

From my friend Possum.

I have been doing Sudoku mostly the last few years. I have this number-dyslexia thing, and I thought it might help.
I used to do the Crossword puzzle in the newspaper back when we got papers at school. Learned a lot of useless words that way! Do you have an Obi? I did and didn't even know it! LOL!
We all need things to try to keep out brains functioning!
Obviously, yours is doing quite well!

You can visit her at: http://possumlane.blogspot.com/.
To see what is happening at the Train Station - go to: http://onley-spots.blogspot.com/

4:23 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I got into crosswords a bit a few years ago, but I don't do them very well. Sudoku type puzzles are more my thing. I have nothing against crosswords but just never get around to doing them. Maybe I'll go and do my morning Sudoku now.

4:30 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I do the crossword in our local paper. Monday is easy and the others get a little more difficult each day. I have a friend who takes the weekend NY Times mostly for the puzzle. She is a whiz and does them in pen. I keep some of the Will Shortz crossword puzzle books around so she can do puzzles with her morning coffee when she visits us.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Joared said...

My husband regularly worked crosswords. I’m an erratic puzzle solver at best.

1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home