Thursday, December 20, 2018

A gift of CHRISTMAS STAMPS…

When my father died in 1960 my sister Barbara inherited a large box of Christmas stamps that he'd been collecting for years. They dated back to the early 20th century and were from all over the world. She decided to make use of them and very creatively designed the plate that you see here. It was her Christmas gift to me that year.


Among the stamps were Christmas seals. The United States ones were dated from 1907 and sold for a penny each. The proceeds went to the Red Cross and the Study and Prevention of Tuberculosis.

In 1920 the Red Cross withdrew from the arrangement and from then on it was conducted exclusively for TB. The real break through came when, in 1936, President Roosevelt, who suffered from Polio, endorsed the campaign.
**********************************************************************************
PS: I don't like that only Google members can post on my blog. If you want to leave a comment feel free to email it to me at snowflakesnew@gmail.com  & I will post it.  

6 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

That plate is a treasure for sure!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You might as well do something with old stamps as we have discovered that they are almost worthless.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

That was so sweet of her to do that for you. All in one place and safe.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

And now I have an idea for stamps in my old my stamp album, thanks to your sister, Ginnie. And you have a memory of your father.

8:16 PM  
Blogger possum said...

What a unique idea!
And an unusual connection to your father. How cool!

6:37 AM  
Blogger Joared said...

Fascinating!

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home