Thursday, February 16, 2017

Once in a lifetime …


Do any of you remember the 1970's song by the Creedance Clearwater Revival group with the line “Have you ever seen the rain … Comin’ down on a sunny day?” I heard it today and it brought back this amazing memory.

I was about 14 at the time and living in Wellesley Hills,  Mass., a suburb of Boston.  As I recall it some school friends and I were in the town square park sitting on the steps of the picturesque bell
tower basking in the bright sunshine and waiting for a bus carrying some friends home from Boston. The actual bus stop was across the street from where we waited but it was located on a very busy three way intersection so we felt safer where we were.

Then out of nowhere, or so it seemed, it started to rain ... but, it was no ordinary downpour.  I will never forget  how we watched in amazement as the sheets of rain pelted down ACROSS THE STREET.   The bus had arrived and our friends were running for shelter from heavy rain while WE WERE STILL IN THE BRIGHT SUNSHINE and dry as a bone.

I know that rain has to stop somewhere but it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me and eerie to actually be able to see the break.   It makes me wonder ... have any of you seen anything like that?




 
 
 

6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Fixed.

Yes, it has to stop somewhere, but having the line so close to us is rare. I think I once remember riding a bike and it raining on one side of the road and not the other. It's vague to me, so maybe my friend just told me of his experience.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

I have seen a rain cloud in the distance and driven into and out of the rain. I have never seen anything like you described, Ginnie. Incredible to see for sure!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Yep, in Florida a lot. It will rain on one side of the street and not the other while the sun is shining.
I recently saw fog end abruptly recently. I was driving down the road in a pretty heavy fog, when without warning, the fog just ended and I drove onto a fog free road. It was like there was a line across the road. Isn't it fun when you see these rare sites? Maybe someday we will catch the end of the rainbow. It has to exist.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

There have been many times we have been driving someplace and have seen bands of rain on the roadway ahead. And although the pavement was dry as we were driving, we soon were caught up in the same downpour we had seen.

2:52 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Yep, it happens here. It can rain in my front yard and not the back. Strange!
Down in the Caribbean, we used to watch little rain clouds cross the island, just covering a few acres with sun all around. It always fascinated me.

I bet you were glad you waited where you did! Sorry about your friends from the bus! poor things!

3:36 AM  
Blogger joared said...

Spending many early years in the Midwest my experience was that when it rained, it was raining everywhere, as far as the eye could see. Then, when we moved to Arizona was the first time I experienced the kind of "spot rain" I guess we could call it -- coming down under a little cloud but dry all around. I drive in and out of rain here in Southern Califonia, too, -- dark and cloudy, then into sunshine.

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home