Thursday, January 12, 2017

Lawrence Welk and “his girls”





Some of you “oldsters” will surely remember “The Lawrence Welk Show”. It was a musically based variety show that aired on ABC TV in the '70's and early '80's. It was squeeky clean compared to the TV of today and was emceed by Mr. Welk. He's seen here with Norma Zimmer … just one of an array of female singers that he featured on the show. My Public TV channel has re-runs of these shows every Saturday night and, since I only have “basic TV” the alternative to watching that is an array of sports events that hold no interest for me.
So, here I am on a Saturday night watching “The Lawrence Welk Show” and, to my surprise, actually reminiscing and enjoying it.

 
 

However, as much as I like the music I can't help but giggle at the variety of crazy hair styles that the girls wear. Actually, Norma Zimmer's ( in the first picture) is quite tame in contrast to the ones shown by the Lennon sisters. I swear to myself that I wouldn't be caught dead looking like that and then I shake my head and decide to just close my eyes and concentrate on the music only.


I guess I drifted off because the next thing I knew I jolted awake and the first thing that came to mind was when my husband and I attended the wedding of our friend Sheila …


It was in the 70's !
 
 


7 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

I've seen the program over the years. Periodically it is still run here. Such an innocent time in our history compared to what is in the media today. The hair was quite something.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Ha ha, I know what you mean. I laugh at those hair styles till I see pictures of me in similar style. Oh all that teasing we did. Yours was pretty tame compared to the Lennon's.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Joared said...

Welk Show airs here on my PBS antenna TV. My mother really enjoyed the band and show, so when she moved to So Cal we drove down to the Welk community and ate at the restaurant there. Yes, hair styles were something else then.

3:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THe hair, that's what I noticed first. remember the musical "Hair"? It was an obsession.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Alan G said...

Just happened by your blog this morning Ginnie and the Welk post immediately caught my eye. It's been a while since I have visited you...

I still watch his program almost every Saturday night here where it airs on PBS. In those early days when Welk's TV show came on my mother treated his show like a religious experience. She loved that show and no matter what, that was what was on the TV Saturday evening. She would often rush us through supper so she could get the dishes done so she could watch the show.

She passed away in 1997 and I eventually moved back into the house where she had lived since 1959. At 6:00 PM every Saturday night when Welk comes on I still turn the television to that channel for the whole hour. I have not a clue if any part of my mother's spirit is still in that home but just on the chance it might be, I do that to let her know I still love and miss her. (And that is a true story)

As to the hair, yes it often brings a grin to the face and sometimes a grimace. But we men must also take some responsibility in this matter because if we weren't telling you women how pretty and beautiful you were when you wore your hair that way, I'm guessing those styles would have faded quickly.

Your Old Blogging Angel

4:21 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

I remember it well - especially the adorable Lennon sisters...:)

9:09 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

When my daughter visits, we always watch the Welk show together for a good laugh. First we try to guess what color suits the band will wear and then the song the token black man will tap dance to. Once it was actually "Wabash Cannon Ball." We're always disappointed if the show is not in color and usually don't watch those. The color of the outfits are the draw for us.

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home