Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Setting the stage ...


I was shocked this morning when I heard what the House Judiciary Committee had done behind closed doors. Despite the weak twitter that President-elect Trump put out condemning it the fact remains that it was done.   I was so angry that I sat down and composed the following letter and am in the process of sending it re: fax, email or any other means to all 100 members of the Senate.   If I have the energy I will do the same for the House.  If any of you feel the same please lets flood our elected officials with out thoughts ... it may be our only hope.

Dear Senator _____________:

I am an 83 year old white female and citizen of our great United States. I have been a voter and political junkie for many of those years and I am writing to you, regardless of which party you belong to, to beg you to search out the inner core of your conscience when you proceed for the next 4 years.  

There is no question that our new President-elect will bring his own set of values into the administration but we, the citizens, deserve to have our needs considered and acted upon too. After all, we are the ones who have voted you into the offices that you hold today.  

It gave me a chill this morning when I heard that the Office of Congressional Ethics had been killed by the Republican-led House Judiciary Committee in a secret session. This office was set up specifically to be a watchdog of the administration and, although it goes without saying that I am pleased that this vote has been reversed it doesn't erase the fact that it happened at all. 

A statesman is one who follows his own moral compass and I pray that you will be strong enough to stand against the tide when you know something is not right. Always keep in mind that 4 years pass quickly and the eyes of the country are watching your every move.   With hope for our future …






6 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

You are a woman of action, Ginnie. Good for you!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Oddly enough I hear the Trumpster actually scared off the Rep action for now anyway. He must have gotten your letter. I have all my congressmen and women in my computer. I'm letting them know where I stand. It is the power we still have left.
Well done and keep up the good fight.

6:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phone calls, emails and letters changed the outcome. Of course DT is taking credit.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Apparently it was rescinded, but I like the little threat at the end.�

12:55 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

God help us these 4 years.....

10:53 AM  
Blogger joared said...

Excellently worded letter as there will likely be many ethical issues arising in the years to come. Remember there is an election in two years providing an opportunity in some states to vote for a few House and Senate members.

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home