Sunday, January 22, 2017

Consider the source …


On the news recently I heard that President Trump will be proudly displaying a framed letter on the wall of the Oval Office. It was written to him by ex-President Richard Nixon who left the Presidency in 1974... (facing an almost sure impeachment he chose to resign instead and was pardoned by Gerald Ford who replaced him). His letter to Trump was written 13 years later.

The letter is dated 12/21/1987 and reads:

Dear Donald, I did not see the program, but Mrs. Nixon told me that you were great on the Donahue Show. As you can imagine, she is an expert on politics and she predicts that whenever you decide to run for office you will be a winner!”

How did Pat Nixon get it so right? As she listened to the young Trump being interviewed she must have realized that he was a dead ringer for her husband at that age and what did Richard Nixon do?. He rose to fame despite his many flaws, such as his distrust of the press, his unpredictable temperament and his tendency to exaggerate and skew the facts. No wonder she could make that prediction.

It will be interesting, as the months go by, to see just how far our newly elected President Trump will follow in Nixon's path..




8 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

Wow, Ginnie! We'll have to see how this plays out, won't we?

7:58 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

Incredible! I hadn't made that comparison between,Trump and Nixon. Such a strange item to have in the oval office, but who are we talking about? Silly me.

4:17 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You do find some interesting info, Ginnie.

4:45 PM  
Blogger possum said...

God help us all.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While I may not have been in favor of his win, I will support our new President because it IS the right thing to do.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Joared said...

I hope he follows to Nixons WH end -- the sooner the better.

9:38 PM  
Blogger nacodoches said...

The apple, or in this case the candidate seems very near the tree. I lived in Washington DC at the time, and read the paper (Bob Woodward, et al) from day one with the break-in at the Watergate. Then I watched every single day of the Senate Watergate hearings. Nixon was a crook.

No matter how hard the Republicans tried to crucify Hillary with Bengazi, they could not get their revenge.

DJT is in denial but in the end Hubris brings down the big shots, or as my old boss put it, sooner or later they overreach.
I read that Las vegas is offering odds on how long DJT will last.

10:03 AM  
Blogger nacodoches said...

I cannot respect anyone who has behaved the way DJT has. And don't ask me to.

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home