Tuesday, January 17, 2017

It may be UGLY but it works... so far.


What the heck is this thing? If you look closely you will see that it's a bird feeder hanging off the limb of a tree near my back deck.

Like most of you I have a BIG problem with squirrels attacking my feeders. I thought I had it licked when I poked a hole in the top of a large circular plastic tray and positioned it on top of my feeder. It stuck out about 10 inches all around and I was sure that the pesky squirrels would never figure a way to get to the seeds.. WRONG !

It seemed to work beautifully until a few days ago when I drove into my yard and saw a big fat squirrel literally upside down, clutching the sides of the feeder and eating to his heart's content. I'm not proud of the obscenities that I screamed at him but it didn't seem to faze him a bit. He leisurely hopped down and I could almost hear him laughing as he scooted away.

So now I've put my inventors hat on and hope this will work. I took a big garbage bag and adhered it to the tray that tops the feeder. It looks gruesome … the black plastic twirling and swaying in the breeze but the birds seem to love it and the price was right too. So far so good ….

6 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Pesky squirrels! Pretty inventive on your part too. Glad it works!

7:13 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I wish I had squirrels for they are amazing to watch as they outwit us. Such intelligent athletes. Hopefully your new effort will work but I wouldn't put money on it. They are clever.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Joared said...

Hope your feeder continues to work! Squirrels destroyed several of my bird feeders I had positioned on shepard hooks away from trees. They had never bothered the feeders for a few years, then one day I looked out at what I, too, finally figured out was an upside down squirrel. They chewed huge holes expanding the size of existing small ones -- allowed feed to pour out. I had to throw out the feeders. Finally bought a metal feeder, but haven't set it up yet. I don't see how the squirrel can possibly damage this feeder but who knows!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Well, good luck. It seems like an unwinnable game, but just maybe ...

4:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our bird seed store hosts a sign which reads....Squrirrels 12, Humans 0. May you have better luck.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry. The little acrobats will find a way in.

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home