Monday, February 29, 2016

Living it up at the FERGUSON … 1957


In 1957 I was three years out of college, had worked a variety of jobs and was finally in the “Big Apple”. It had been my dream for years to work in NY City and here I was !

The first thing that I needed was a place to stay however. I had very little in the way of savings and no clear idea as to what job was in the offing. When I heard of the Ferguson Hotel for Girls (billed as a “safe haven for young ladies new to New York”) I was thrilled. It was in a 6-story brownstone and not only was the location great (the upper East side in the 80’s and just minutes from Bloomingdales) but it offered both breakfast and dinner as part of the very affordable weekly charge.

My enthusiasm was dampened a bit when I saw the actual rooms.There were three of us sharing a small bedroom on the fourth floor; but, it was clean and the other girls were pleasant. The rules were stringent and included… no drinking, no smoking or cooking in our rooms & definitely NO MALES ABOVE THE FIRST FLOOR !

Little did I know that my roomies were out-of-work starlets and they thought nothing of breaking every one of these rules if it could help pay the rent ! I’m not sure how they got everything past the “house warden” but finding a strange male in MY BED was a shock to say the least. Actually it was the last straw and I asked to be transferred to the first single room that came available.

That room and getting hired to work at WABC Radio actually became a reality on the same day. I took that as a good luck sign then: but, looking back at it from the distance of almost 60 years I wonder how things would have been if I’d stayed with the starlets. I’ll bet my blogging memories would be a bit spicier!

9 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

LOL. Great story. That place was a great find when you finally had some space to yourself. You had such interesting adventures, Ginnie.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Ha ha, but probably only more interesting in retrospect. It would have been nerve racking in real time.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think that was a bit much for just about anybody. Little did you know that you would tell the world about it almost 60 years later.

6:21 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Ah, life is so full of what if's........

As usual, a fun peek into the past.

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What fun! Yes, the other giirs did seem to have more fun, however, to a great extent I was a bit like you!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What another wonderful glimpse into the life you have led, Ginnie, and how great to find yourself living and then working in NYC as you had hoped!

3:34 PM  
Blogger joared said...

Interesting to observe all that went on around you, I'm sure. There were always a few of us "straight arrows" in the crazy "Mad Men" world.

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may have seen your name 'up in lights', or, at least in the papers.

6:20 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

I bet your memories would have been fun to hear!!

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home