Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Another ER memory ...1987




Does anyone recognize this guy?  It’s Chi Chi Rodriguez, the professional golfer.       The first Puerto Rican to be inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame.        It was 1987 and he was in Pinehurst, NC playing in a Senior’s Tournament. This is also the locale of the hospital where I was working, (in the  ER), and we were all excited because Chi Chi had just signed the register ...wanting to be examined by the docs for stomach pains.     

It was still a few years before we became automated and we still had a hand-written sign-in log at the front desk. Imagine my surprise when the next name, directly after his, was that of my husband, Dick. He was having some breathing problems and decided to come in and get some relief. When he saw Chi Chi’s name above his the secretary said he laughed and said, “What do you know? Two great golfers in one day!” 

Somehow that message was not passed on to the Doctors who could barely be drawn away from Chi Chi, the “real” golfer, to tend to my husband ! Of course Dick was treated in due time and as soon as I saw that he was breathing easier I went to the front desk to see the log.

Yes, there it was...the signatures of the two great golfers, I was sorely tempted to copy that log page and have it framed for Dick but I couldn’t afford losing my job over it. HIPPA wasn’t enacted until 1996 but I knew enough not to break the “privacy rule” and I left well enough alone !



11 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Great story! You have such gems. Are you a golfer as well?

4:22 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Too bad you didn't have a camera handy. Nowadays, you could just whip out your phone and take a pic of it.

We saw ChiChi at LaCosta, in California, back in the 80's.

6:13 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Interesting. Yes, privacy was an issue long before the HIPAA regulations.

7:02 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Great story. Your memory travels are always such a treat!
And one thing I remember when I hear Chi Chi Rodriquez is the character Les Nessman (on WKRP) saying "CH-EYE CH-EYE Rod dri GWEZ.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I was thinking along the lines of Judy. I remember him and enjoyed it when he would use his club like a sword. Quite the character. Glad you husband finally got some care. I know how it feels to compete with a celebrity for hospital attention:))

1:14 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Just as well that you didn't yield to temptation.

4:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think that I could have resisted that temptation, Ginnie.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad that both great golfers received treatment, even if the celebrity was fussed over a bit more.

12:32 PM  
Blogger possum said...

And another fun story from our Ginnie!
Stupid me, I would not have known who he was and would have wondered what all the fuss was about. Duh.

4:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I remember Chi-Chi. This memory must be bitter-sweet for you, but glad you shared it.

7:07 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Neat story. Thanks...:)

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home