Thursday, January 21, 2016

Freedom of speech ...


I think that the first time I truly became aware of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution was when I saw a picture of white robed and masked men marching on Washington. This was back in the 40's and I asked my father about it. He explained that they were the Ku Klux Klan and I was shocked when he told me of their belief in white supremacy and how they operated through fear and hatred.

Why can't we stop them and put them in jail?”, I asked and dad went on to tell me how everyone in our country has the right to freedom of speech and can express their beliefs, no matter what they are, without fear of imprisonment. It was a hard concept to accept and it still is; but, I understand it better now and realize its what sets us apart from those that rule by force and total censorship.

Having said all that I can accept that Donald Trump has the right to his opinions. What I find more difficult to accept is that his fiery rhetoric   (which is often based on half-truths or his own imagination) has caught on with such a large part of the population. Can they actually believe that a person who acts more like a school bully than a statesman be a viable president of our great nation? Can they overlook his lack of knowledge in worldly affairs? Is their hatred so strong that they cannot see the disaster that our country would face if he were elected?

I am frightened and apprehensive that it has gone this far … way beyond what most of us would have thought possible. I pray that reason will come before it's too late. 


10 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

I agree with you. How could so many agree with him? Trump as president is a scary thought for Canadians too. The world is in enough turmoil as it is.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

After watching the most recent Republican debate, I have many of the same concerns, Ginnie. But, then the Democratic debaters also give me the same feeling.

7:12 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

We are both pray ing for that, Ginnie. I cannot fathom his popularity and it scares me.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I don't know what to say.

4:23 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Your next to the last paragraph says it for me also. What is even scarier is when one of your own family members is a Trump believer.

12:03 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I believe the GOP is now finding itself in a world of trouble and all of their own making. The courted the Tea Party and fundamentalists and it has come back to bite them. I suspect some of Trump's popularity has to do with his major opponents, Cruz and Rubio. Both of them are very dangerous men and I think the folks believe that at the end of the day Trump is the least odious of the bunch. Almost as scary to me is the fact that so many young people are marching for Bernie Sanders and they are totally ignorant of who he is and what he has been. As the old poem goes, "Oh Lord, help us and save us."

7:29 AM  
Blogger possum said...

You are so right, Ginnie... But you know my thoughts. Sometimes I feel guilty for finding humor in some of the politicians and wannabe politicians (Palin), but, as you also know, I have friends and family who live in other countries and they are always asking "What the H---?"
Like you as a child, they want to know why these idiots are free to walk around and spout their garbage.
Good for your dad. And good for you!

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your thoughts reflect mine exactly. Trump is a demagogue or populist. He is like Huey Long, George Wallace, and William Jennings Byant. He has tapped into the fear and anger of many fellow Americans who have been turned off by Obama's high handedness and hubris. Nevertheless, many conservatives have openly criticized Trump so we shall see how far this goes. I fear Cruz even more. He truly is a wackobird as McCain said.

Unfortunately, Hillary is so flawed I fear the Democrats will lose to whomever the Republican party nominates. Yesterday, Bloomberg made noises like he might run as an Independent. This could be good. B has experience and has been on both sides of the aisle.

8:13 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

I agree with you post totally.....

6:32 PM  
Blogger Folkways Note Book said...

Goldendaze -- Read through many of your posts today for the first time. Must say I enjoyed them as I too am older and experienced a different country than we are seeing and hearing today by our politicians. I do hope for the best for all in this forthcoming election. -- barbara

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home