Tuesday, December 22, 2015

CHRISTMAS GIFT … 2000


My granddaughter Amelia was 11 when she made me the sweet little bread board that I picture here. It was her Christmas gift to me in 2000 and every time she saw it after that she would say, “Oh, Grandma, when are you going to get rid of that old thing?” It is now 15 years later and I still have it !!  You might remember that it was just a month ago that I posted wedding pictures of Amelia and her husband Eligio. It makes me wonder if the day will come when her children will gift her in the same way and maybe then she will get that big “aha, now I get it” moment.

Here's another example ... my granddaughter Faye's gift to her dad when she was 6 years old.


                                                                                                      

There is something so special in each and every gift that our children present to us. I think it has to do with their ability to “operate outside of the box”. The imagination of a child is wondrous to behold.    

I feel sorry for the people who are too fastidious to post a child’s “masterpiece” on their refrigerator. I actually have an acquaintance who told me that “it would upset my decorator”. Can you believe that? My decorator (me) says, “bring it on”.

9 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

The most precious things in life often are the simplest things, like the picture drawn by a child. I found such pictures among my mother's possessions after she died. Treasures of a grandmother! Priceless.

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That silly woman should tell 'her decorator' to "get with it" ! Naïve or Primitive art is all the rage in some circles.

Have a good Christmas Ginnie ... John

6:46 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

We have several of those framed treasures and I cherish each one of them. The tree contains scores of ornaments crafted with love from our small children. (Who are now 38 and 41)

4:06 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Some of our most beloved Christmas decorations are the inexpensive ones that have been with us every holiday season and traveled to each new home. Who doesn't have clothespin reindeer on their tree?
Merry Christmas to you, Ginnie.

5:05 PM  
Blogger joared said...

I share your appreciation for the gifts created by my children. To heck with what a decorator might think.

12:42 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Lahtidah to having a decorator.
Hiphiphooray for kids art.

7:09 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Treasures... absolute treasures.

3:29 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Catching up here, Ginnie. I hope that you had a good Christmas. Wishing you peace and happiness in 2016. Love the hand made items by children BTW

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still have a clay rabbit with a broken ear my son made and a little plastic star my granddaughter made. We grandmothers treasure these things.

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home