Monday, December 07, 2015

“Once in Love with Amy...” 1957


I've always loved that song and when I heard it recently on an “oldies” station it brought back a wonderful memory. It was 1957 and a friend and I were driving cross country from California to the East coast. We made a brief stop in Las Vegas and when we saw that Ray Bolger was the featured performer at the Hotel Sahara we decided to attend.

We were not disappointed as we watched Ray on stage. The show featured his famous Scarecrow role from “The Wizard of Oz” and many dances that made it seem like he didn't have a bone in his body. However it was the finale that absolutely floored us.

Suddenly the stage went dark. A hush came over the audience and when it was perfectly quiet a single spotlight picked out Ray. He never moved a muscle until the orchestra, very softly, began to play “Once In Love With Amy”. He then slipped into his soft-shoe routine while quietly humming the tune. After a minute or so he asked the audience to join in and he continued to dance while tossing the lyrics to us one line at a time. 

It was magical and I doubt if there was a dry eye in the house. I guess most people will remember Ray Bolger as traveling the Yellow Brick Road in search of a brain...but I will always cherish my memory of him in 1957, as the lovelorn Charley singing to his Amy on the stage at the Hotel Sahara in Las Vegas.


8 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

I heard this song a long time ago and just listened to a version by Frank Sinatra, the Bolger version was incomplete. I like the song and can understand its popularity. The music today doesn't have the same romantic feeling to it somehow.

Thank you for the walk in the shadow of the yellow brick road.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You have brought another finse memory to us.

5:43 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I think only of the Oz movie when I hear the name Ray Bolger. I'll have to read more about him.

8:20 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Yes I remember him well....:)

10:30 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

I love that song, too. So singable. And that's something I miss dreadfully with today's music (I should put that in quotation marks, since music seems greatly missing in it).
My husband and I have marked 50s on 5 on our car satellite radios. And we have great fun singing along.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another lovely memory. I too loved Ray Bolger. The world was a better place with all those old song and dance men. BTW did you know Buddy Ebson was cast as the tin man, but had to drop out because he was allergic to the paint.

12:13 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Wow.
What a memory.

10:56 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

What a great opportunity!! I know you enjoy remembering that.

I answered your question on my blog; but of course, I approved of the way the Mansion was decorated - I worked this year for 3 days, made all the bows and some arrangements. I was so happy to be back there.

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home