Monday, November 02, 2015

Un delizioso ricordo …

 
“A delicious memory” indeed and it came back to me recently when I saw that Breyer’s is now selling Gelato.  Of course I had to try it and it’s not bad but nothing like the authentic Italian delicacy that I came to love while visiting there.

I had my first taste in Rome.  After throwing the obligatory coins into the famous Trevi Fountain my traveling companion suggested we top off that experience with a gelato.  I agreed and, although we were surrounded by “gelato bars”, we chose to take the short walk to one of Rome’s oldest...the Giolitti, founded in 1890.
 
It was an experience not to be missed. Colorful mounds of gelato were piled high, topped with fresh fruit to indicate their flavors. Even the waffle cones were displayed as art. They came in three colors and flavors (natural, red and brown), and were stacked upside down to form tall and colorful columns. They were an apt backdrop for the frenetic scooping. The simple act of ordering your gelato was a production in itself. Much laughter and a lot of hand gestures were needed to convey your choice and then, in typical Italian style, the final product was presented to you as if it were the finest jewel in the crown.
The choice of flavors was astounding...fig and lychee nut, almond and coconut to name just a few. I finally ordered a double dipper and was thrilled to find that the “hype” for gelato was well earned. It was much creamier than ice cream and the flavors were dense and almost tart.   I loved it and just writing about it here makes my mouth water !
 
 

9 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Sue and I used to walk from her place for a gelato back in the late 60s. We called it Italian ice cream at the time because we didn't know differently. 25 cents for 2 scoops back then. My how times have changed.

8:11 AM  
Blogger joared said...

You certainly make gelato sound delicious. I'll have to try some as to date I've not had the pleasure.

9:14 PM  
Blogger possum said...

I don't remember eating it when we were in Italy... we might have been afraid, having come from the Middle East where ice cream was on the list of things Americans should not eat.
All I remember was drinking copious amounts of cappuccino... my discovery of the year! Not nearly as exciting as your adventure! Now you are tempting me to go check the varieties out at the local Foodlion and preparing myself for an internal lecture about my weight, the Lymes diet, NO sugar, etc. sigh.
Well, I will just reread your story and be content to be happy for you!

8:18 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

I saw it in our supermarket. Now I have to go back and try some....:)

5:41 PM  
Blogger Joseph Pulikotil said...

Wonderful memories. Life is full of such enchanting experiences and recalling such events of the past makes us feel happy.

Best wishes

5:43 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Believe it or not, we have a gelato bar right here in Brevard.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

I love your take on things. Great story!

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A delicious memory indeed, and a great post. Thanks for sharing this.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Inhave only enjoyed gelato a few times, but unfortunately not once in Rome. How fortunute for you, Ginnie.

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home