Tuesday, October 13, 2015

HMMMMMMMMMMMM….


Well, here we have Renee Ellmers, a Republican who (despite my not voting for her) has been the U.S. Representative for North Carolina’s second congressional district since 2011.  She has come under scrutiny lately amid rumors of an affair with Rep. Kevin McCarthy who, unexpectedly, backed out of his almost certain Chairmanship for the House.

Ellmers is a right wing conservative with “principles that go right along with the Tea Party” and it comes as no surprise that she’s come out fighting against the rumors using the lofty phrase that she “will be praying for those who bear false witness”.

I could actually care less if the allegations are true but it reminded me of a like situation during my first college year in 1950.  I was attending Upsala College in East Orange, New Jersey.  Most of the students were like me … just kids wanting to get an education … but there was also a strong Evangelical Lutheran Church influence and some of the students followed it to the extreme.  They made it known that they were living a life of piety and that we were below contempt.  In other words they were pure like the driven snow and we were the slush !

I was living in a dorm and one of the girls there was part of the “Bible group” (as we called them) and she was constantly berating us for our “evil ways”.  This was comical to us since we knew we were silly and loud at times but we weren’t promiscuous or otherwise “evil”.  

I will never forget the night that she went out with her boyfriend who was also a big Bible thumper.  She gave us that “smelling something bad” look as she passed us on her way out.  We noticed that she was dressed to the teeth … a matching sweater and skirt that made her look like the epitome of the pure college girl.  It was about 3 hours later that she came back and, just as she was about to give us that look again, we burst out laughing.  It threw her off and she said “what’s funny?”  “Oh, nothing” said my roommate “it’s just that your sweater is inside out and I don’t think it was like that when you went out!”  

BINGO.  How quickly the pure white snow can drift …..










7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I love it.

5:50 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

Short comment here..."Oh, Snort!!"

6:00 AM  
Blogger possum said...

How sad that someone should laugh at that! Let alone snort their Starbucks up their nose! Damn, I even sprayed Starbucks on my monitor! Shame on you, Ginnie for making me choke and mess up my screen! But I will pray for you, nonetheless.
Oh, Bad Buddhist, bad Buddhist. I'm Gonna have to do penance over this one.

Ya know, come to think about it, now that I am done choking, I seem to remember that same bunch of girls in our dorm. I was working on being an Episcopalian back in those days. they were the least offensive and deemed next to heathens by the rest of the churchy crowd.
Thanks for the laugh, tho. Now to clean off my screen and keyboard.

4:47 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

We my response to the hypocrites was always "well as least we lowlifes know how to have fun without being hypocrites....." :)

7:40 AM  
Blogger Caddie said...

Ah, one of those un- "holier than thou" episodes. uh huh.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I know that most of the daughter's of ministers were some of the wildest, speaking from experience.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

Some of the christian fundamentalist kids in a school where I taught called me one of their non-christian friends. I was raised catholic and was one at that time. There is a great deal of judgement of others associated with religion I fear.

Your blog made me laugh.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home