Saturday, December 12, 2015

1946 … Sinatra fever brings on the “flu”


The spotlight is on Frank Sinatra once again. He would have turned 100 this year and when I read about all the hoopla being planned in his honor it brought back this memory.

In 1946 Frank Sinatra, “The Voice”, was fast becoming a teen age idol. At every appearance he would be swamped by screaming teenaged girls who were called “Bobby Soxers” because of their attire … poodle skirts and socks rolled down to the ankles. My 17 year old sister Barbara fit the description perfectly.

We were living in the Boston suburbs then and when Barbara and her friends read that Frank was going to perform there they were in a frenzy. They couldn't possibly miss this opportunity to see him but it was a one day “gig” in the middle of a school week.
What to do? 

Strangely, on the day of Frank’s appearance over a third of the females in the senior class of our small High School were home “sick”. It must have been a 24 hr flu because all the girls were back in school the next day ... complete with forged excuse notes. The Principal was at a loss and, being a nice man and a little overwhelmed, he just decided to let it drop.

It would have ended there except for one thing. That day's edition of the Boston Globe ran a front page review of his show… complete with a picture taken from the stage. It showed the back of Frank crooning into a microphone and his adoring fans, including Barbara, in the front row cheering him on ! Ouch, busted in black and white. !!








8 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Great story. Love the stories of our families in past history. Keep telling them!

6:33 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's odd how eras define our tastes. Born in 1947, I have considered frank an old fogie -- except I am not sure how to spell fogie.

6:15 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Don't you love it when things like that happen? I still love his music. It truly is timeless.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always difficult if your excuse falls apart thanks to the press, and she wasn't a politician!

11:32 AM  
Blogger possum said...

I guess there is something wrong with me - I never went nuts over any singers. I might have enjoyed some of their music but would not have skipped school to see any of them. What is wrong with me?????
I accept Sinatra had a nice voice and I did like some of his songs, but would not have gotten caught as your friend did. Poor thing! But I am sure it remained a treasure of hers for life!

(Maybe its because I hate crowds and screaming???? Don't like cities much either. And they all seem to go together. I'd much rather turn on the radio or stereo and sing along while doing the dishes or folding laundry. In that sense I guess I have been an old fogey all my life!)

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently the “Bobby Soxers” screaming started as a publicity stunt. A group of them were paid to do it by Frank's agent, and look where that led !

6:29 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Ah there is justice in this world. And their mothers who enabled them...:)

4:32 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

LOL!

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home