Monday, January 11, 2016

2016 … Back to Basics

 
No, I don't want to go back to this age but I sure would like to regain some of the joy and enthusiasm that I felt then. I’ve just about had it with this crazy world of ours where greed reigns supreme and hatred and fear seem to be the norm. I can’t imagine how difficult it must be to raise a well-rounded and loving child in this atmosphere. I know that I can’t change the world but I can certainly try to improve my small part in it and I start with this resolution for the new year:

I am simplifying my life and I started by cutting out all the “stuff” that I once thought I needed but that actually has bogged me down for years and has left me feeling overwhelmed. I've started the process already and it's amazing how liberating it is. 

Clothes I haven't worn for years go to the Coalition, books to the free book exchange at the Post Office and odds and ends to Goodwill. This de-clutters my life and leaves me with just those things that I cherish and that I now have room to display. I've also been thrilled to actually find some long lost treasures while cleaning out the closets and drawers one of those being a small book entitled “A Child's Journey with Dickens” with an inscription to “Captain Lee” (my grandfather on my father's side) written in 1915. I have no idea who Jacqueline was but she and others obviously enjoyed each others company at "The Roost" during World War I.

        
 
So it's back to basics for me. A new outlook on life and lots of breathing room are all I need to face 2016 head on !



8 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

What a treasure the book is with the inscription. A lovely find. You've got a great start to the year with the simplifying. Well done.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

All of what you have posted is how I feel as well, Ginnie. In clearing out my late mother's home this last year, there was so much that was discarded that now I am working on parting with things I no longer need or use, before someone else has to make those decisions. And, yes there is a freedom from letting go of things?

8:48 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

De-cluttering sounds like a good idea.

4:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you. I began decluttering my life a few years ago and it feels great to travle light. Ghandi had it right when he said, 'Live simply, so others can simply live.' Your great-grandfather was a handsome fellow.

6:43 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Knowing that we will be down-sizing in a few years, we have begun to do the very same thing. And I'm finding it isn't as difficult as I feared.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

You have done what I need to do. Hope I find treasure like you did also. Captain Lee was a fine looking man.

1:56 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Good for you! I have been trying to do that for a while now but don't seem to get very far. sigh. I can always find a million excuses. Maybe I will do better this year. Today's excuse, bad cold, sore throat... maybe a hint of laziness????
OK, OK....... you are my inspiration. I will get to it. I will. But where to start?

4:31 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Looks like a good plan to me...:)

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home