Tuesday, January 26, 2016

WOW … the Good Old Daze !!! … 1957

Recently a friend sent me an article she'd picked up from the Internet. It was a pictorial comparison of
prices in the '50s as compared to today … for example: back then we paid 25 cents per gallon of gas,
7 cents to mail a letter and, jeepers creepers, $2.00 a night to stay in a hotel. It was interesting and got me thinking of where I was around that time.

I was three years out of college in 1957. I had three jobs under my belt (a short stint with a Boston Ad Agency, 6 months at WWNY radio station in Watertown, NY and over a year at KEYT TV in Santa Barbara, Ca.) and I was finally ready to get where the real action was ... New York City.

Luckily a friend knew someone at WABC radio and I applied and was hired there at the meager salary of $13,00 a year. I was able to pay rent and cover the basics but that was about all. It wasn't until I read my friends email and did the calculating that I realized what I would be paid for that same job today. Look at this:

Pretty incredible isn't it? But what is really eye opening is that a salary of $110,500 a year paid today to someone working in New York City will still just barely cover the necessities.

 

7 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Love this post. You had such an interesting career. A hundred thousand dollars would let you live a great life here. It's all relative!

7:54 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

"57" what a great year. That was when a dollars worth of gas took you somewhere. I graduated high school then and owned the world. Wow, you were one highly paid lady.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

My first car in 70/71 cost less than my two tiny hearing aids now.

You made pretty good wages back in the day. My first year of teaching in 71/72 only paid $8800.

12:14 PM  
Blogger possum said...

1957 Volkswagen Beetle
Original Price: $1,500 - $2,000
Just remembered the price of some of the cars back then... the bug being one. By '67:
1967 Volkswagen Beetle
Original Price: $1,640 - $2,100

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh this is sad. No wonder we feel like we never catch up. My parents paid $800 for their frst "owned" house in 1952.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd just as soon not think about the cost of living in the old days.

7:06 AM  
Blogger joared said...

Memories -- as I was a few years behind you. My first job after college in the mid-fifties I earned $1 an hour -- $40 a week. I got side-tracked before getting to the broadcasting world. Bet you have some interesting stories from those days. You should watch "Mad Men" if you haven't. That first episode really captures the world then.

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home